Am I crazy

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
for planning to take Penny on a road trip with me this weekend?! We will be visiting family who said to bring her along...they have 2 or 3 Chinese crested & a Border Collie in their pack. Penny doesn't have an off switch when it comes to being around other dogs. I think they still have a very old Bichon as well. She said they will introduce them all individually. Penny does extremely well at doggie daycare, but I worry about taking her into where this many other dogs live? It will just be for Friday evening & Saturday, so she can be in the crate if necessary during the day on Saturday. She's used to being in the crate during the day anyway. I'm driving about 2.5 hours & she loves to ride, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not sure it's worth the $75 I'd save by not boarding her Friday & Saturday!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think you'll be fine. As long as you have her crate for when she gets tired or overstimulated. I don't travel with my dogs (we never go anywhere! LOL) but maybe some other memebers who frequently travel with their pups can offer some helpful tips/advice?

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I try to bring my pups with me everywhere. I often think about taking them on my work trips but think that this will be best when they are older. My problem is that I don't really trust anyone with Chelsea and Chuy (except my bf and my mom) and I find them more entertaining and enjoyable than most people so I see no reason to leave them.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] , I bring Mocha with me whenever we have to travel. Last summer it was MA for a wedding. Bring her crate as it will come in handy when she gets annoyed at her new family members and for sure she will want a place to hide:lmao: She will be fine, and its good to get her use to long drives in the car too.(make sure you make plenty of stops so the she can pee and strech her legs and so on)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
We travel a lot and pets come with us on the shorter trips. We consider anything under 4 hours a short trip. 2.5 hours is a hop and skip. The dogs do fine without stopping on a trip that "short". Basically, this is how we've been handling trips - when the kids (age 10 and 8) need a rest stop, the dogs (age 3 and 4) get a rest stop as well. Watch for temperature though. My bully doesn't do too well in too cold nor too hot temperatures and the car A/C is not always great at cooling the car evenly. My bully doesn't do too well with an open car window - mine have a hard time breathing in this case, so if it's too hot, I can't just roll the window down either.

We have family with several dogs and with dogs being part of our close-knit family, my dogs get to deal with their cousin dogs too. Yes, we always bring their kennels especially since I have a bichon who has anxiety problems. There is the occassional fights but my extended family have a strict heirarchical structure too so that the humans always have the dogs under control so it doesn't get out of hand. My dogs love visiting their cousins... well, my bichon just tolerates it, he doesn't actually love it. He's the only small dog in the bunch - the rest are labradors, shepherds, retrievers. My bully loves shoulder-butting the big dogs though. It's mayhem when they get going indoors. The fights can get a little scary, so they get to go in the kennel pronto when this happens.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I say go for it and bring her! Especially since your fam invited her.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I say go for it. You never know till you try.

That said....HRH doesn't travel well. She won't eat, drink or poo and pees only after the first day or so. I do make her drink a little by pouring water on her tongue. once we get back home she is fine again.

OP
MissPennyLue

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am planning to take her & fully anticipating a 3 ring circus!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.