Did anybody feed their puppy canned food?

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
The breeder gave us a bunch of canned food to give to him, but when we brought him home he was passing a lot of gas and when he pooped it was just like melted ice cream. I gave him 1/4 cup blue buffalo dry food and a teaspoon of canned pumpkin and this morning he had a solid poop. Is there a benefit to giving him the canned food or is it just for when they aren't eating dry food?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I would say its about preference. I mix it to Mochas dry kibble at dinner time(just a little bit of it)If it is upsetting his tummy I would feed the dry food mixed with a little bit of water.Thats what I used to do when Mocha was a baby. There is an article here that is very informative about food choices, I think it will help you in making your desicion on what to feed.

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I'm assuming I will have a lot of trial and error

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I just want to make sure he will get his proper nutrition from the dry food without using the wet

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4165]mdawson808[/MENTION] Yes, it will be trial and error. He will get the nutrition he needs. There are wonderfull choices out there for your puppy! Many bulldogs are allergic to chicken and grains ,some potatoes. I know chicken and grains dont set well with Mocha so I stay away from them completly.Go check out the food list here, it will at least point you in the right way. What I feed is Natural Balance LID grain free. That was my choice for Mocha after trying others. Keep adding water to your babys food to make it easier for him to chew.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We always feed dry, but with pups we add a little water as [MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] has stated to make it a little softer. Like she said it's mainly preference. We feed our pups FROMM puppy, and our adult bullies FROMM 4 star, it works for us. You just have to find the one that works for your little guy, plus we take them off puppy food around 7 or 8 months of age.

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I am feeding blue buffalo right now (that is what the breeder feeds) I have noticed the chicken being hard on our puggle so I bought a bag of the lamb and oat meal. I have been mixing it 50/50. Her stool stiffened up. Same for little carmine

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
With any of my pets, I never ever feed canned food. I prefer to feeds the solid food since it's better for their teeth and lack a lot of the preservatives that tend to be in the canned stuff. If you want softer food because the pup is young then I normally put just a small smidge of warm water to the dry food to soften it up and make a bit of gravy.

Last edited:
OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
That settles it. That's all he is getting.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
With any of my pets, I never ever feed canned food. I prefer to feel the solid food since it's better for their teeth and lack a lot of the preservatives that tend to be in the canned stuff. If you want softer food because the pup is young then I normally just a small smidge of warm water to the dry food to soften it up and make a bit of gravy.

Bizzy, you got this one backwards. The dry kibble contains synthetic preservatives and artificial flavor and food color additives, the canned ones don't. Canned dog food use the vacuum sealed canning method to preserve the food whereas dry dog food has to have synthetic preservatives to remain fresh in the non-airtight bag.

As far as teeth health is concerned, there is no benefit with the dry kibble over the canned. If you got an elderly dog that has weakened teeth then canned is even better in this instance. The chewing motion to break down kibble is not significant enough to count as a benefit. And no, it doesn't clean the teeth as it still gets stuck to the gumline. Healthy teeth is better provided by the proper chew toys or chew treats and appropriate dental care products - or going raw.

As far as nutritional content is concerned, canned dog food is packed with higher quality meat with lesser carbohydrate content than their kibble counterpart. And, hands down, majority of dogs find it better tasting.

So, really, the main decision on whether to go canned versus dry centers on 2 things: Cost and Convenience. Canned is much more expensive than Kibble. And, once you open a can, you got about an hour or two before that food goes rancid - so you can't just leave it in the bowl until the dog eats it all like you can do with Kibble. You'll have to refrigerate, re-heat, all that inconvenient goopla.

I go the best of both worlds way. I use measured dry kibble mixed with a bit of canned food. My dogs eat on a schedule, so if the dogs don't eat all of the food, it gets thrown out. But, my dogs inhale their food if it's mixed with canned meat, so it's not much of a problem. It's not much more expensive than just going completely kibble, so it works out for us. But yes, sometimes, I go completely dry kibble to get them used to it to prepare them for a vacation when they have to go to my brother's house or to a boarding house. I try to keep things as easy as possible for the people I leave the dogs with.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i dont have puppies but i give my dogs a smidge of canned food just as a treat really. also i was giving it to sarah a bit more as her stool got to hard and she needed some water but it is not necessary to feed canned food. and if the stool is soft or runny then i would cut it out as canned food has more water in it than kibble and can add to the problem. good luck.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Anatess is exactly right; Most Canned is far better nutritionally than Most Dry and definately tastier for them. Like everything man made for convenience, its not usually the best solution. Its really not natural for anybody to be eating %100 of their diet dehydrated. Like many here I do a mix. Fromm 4 Star Kibble with a small amount of good quality canned (currently its Natures Variety Instict, but I mix it up). Additionally they get olive oil or fish oil with every meal. When I don't have canned they get their dry topped with whatever I can find in the fridge (shredded cheese, yogurt, ham & sauted veg ) and occasionally pumpkin.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Obviously everyone and their dog (ha) has an opinion on what you should feed your dog, so I would look for advice from trusted sources. Dr Marty Goldstien, is a very well known and respected vet, he is Martha Stewarts and Ophra's vet, has a Vet Radio Show on Sirius satellite radio and many many books and an active practice.. Here he has listed, what is generally agreed to by informed professionals, from the Most Ideal (1) to the Least Ideal (11):

1. Hunted, raw prey (not realistic in modern society)

2. Fresh raw meats, bones, organ meats with very small amounts of fresh vegetables. Include a well-rounded vitamin/mineral mix and omega 3 essential fatty acids (salmon oil). You can prepare your own raw diet using meat/bone pieces and parts, or you can use pre-prepared ground products such as Bravo! and Natureā€™s Variety.

3. Fresh cooked meats, calcium, organ meat, with very small amounts of fresh vegetables. Include a vitamin/mineral mix, and omega 3 essential fatty acids (salmon oil). There are several books on the market that help you create your own home-cooked diet. Itā€™s best to follow the recipes in these books.

4. Ultra Premium commercial canned foods and augmented with some fresh, raw foods. Canned foods, which are lower in carbohydrates, are much better for your pet than dry kibble. Some of the brands I like are Natureā€™s Variety, Merrick, and Evangerā€™s. These products are mostly meat, are usually grain-free, and very low in carbohydrates. The meat they use is human quality and they do not use by-products or chemical preservatives.

5. As in #4 above, but adding fresh cooked foods

6. Ultra Premium canned commercial foods WITHOUT fresh raw or cooked foods added

7. Super Premium canned foods are very much like the brands above, but they use more grains. They still use good quality meats and don't contain by-products. Brand examples: Solid Gold, Innova, Pet Promise.

8. Super Premium grain-free dry food (kibble) like Instinct by Natureā€™s Variety

9. Premium canned foods. These brands use substantially less meat. Water is often the number 1 ingredient (in the Ultra Premium brands meat is the number one ingredient), they use meat by-products (poor quality waste parts) and they usually contain significant amounts of grains and chemical preservatives. Often, if all the grains are added together, they would equal or exceed the meat. The meat quality is OK, but just barely.

10. Super Premium kibble like Innova, Prairie, Canidae, and Timberwolf

11. Grocery store brands ā€“ canned or dry. These contain very little meat, are made with substantial amounts of meat by-products, and primarily consist of grain and grain by-products. The rendered meat used in these products came from condemned animals, ie ā€“ animals that were deemed unfit for human consumption. These products normally contain artificial colors, flavors and chemical preservatives.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Obviously everyone and their dog (ha) has an opinion on what you should feed your dog, so I would look for advice from trusted sources. Dr Marty Goldstien, is a very well known and respected vet, he is Martha Stewarts and Ophra's vet, has a Vet Radio Show on Sirius satellite radio and many many books and an active practice.. Here he has listed, what is generally agreed to by informed professionals, from the Most Ideal (1) to the Least Ideal (11):

10. Super Premium kibble like Innova, Prairie, Canidae, and Timberwolf

Right off the bat..I would question his choices of "premium kibble"... Let alone his rating system.
do the best you can and feel comfortable with. AND what works for your dog. Opinions are like..well you know.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online