Did anybody feed their puppy canned food?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
we give Duke 1/2 canned 1/2 dy Natures variety instinct and he does wonderful on it.. his coat is amazing and after MUCH trial and error poops are solid! :)
Good Luck to you ! oh and the reason we do 1/2 wet 1/2 dry is he would inhale the dry.. the wet slows him down ! :)

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I save canned food for special occasions or if my pups have an upset tummy (or have meds that might give them an upset tummy). There are lots of great forum discussions about food that you might find helpful. Especially since they specifically address the nutritional needs of english bulldogs. Just make sure that you also pay attention to the treats that you use - since many tend to overlook this.

Congrats on the puppy! Can't wait to see for pictures!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I give the boys about a tablespoonfull of canned on top of their dry kibble every once in a while. I feed them dry Fromm and have tried NVI , Blue Wilderness, and Merrick canned. I think I (they) like the NVI the best.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Bizzy, you got this one backwards. The dry kibble contains synthetic preservatives and artificial flavor and food color additives, the canned ones don't. Canned dog food use the vacuum sealed canning method to preserve the food whereas dry dog food has to have synthetic preservatives to remain fresh in the non-airtight bag.

As far as teeth health is concerned, there is no benefit with the dry kibble over the canned. If you got an elderly dog that has weakened teeth then canned is even better in this instance. The chewing motion to break down kibble is not significant enough to count as a benefit. And no, it doesn't clean the teeth as it still gets stuck to the gumline. Healthy teeth is better provided by the proper chew toys or chew treats and appropriate dental care products - or going raw.

As far as nutritional content is concerned, canned dog food is packed with higher quality meat with lesser carbohydrate content than their kibble counterpart. And, hands down, majority of dogs find it better tasting.

I have always had yorkies. They are very well known for bad teeth as they get older. The vet told me in the puppy on up to adulthood years, the dry is much better. Now as they get older and are senior canines the softer food is more desirable depending on their teeth. When I took Raven to the vet I asked the same question since I am not used to big dogs. He told me for himself and as a recommendation he always opts for the dry food. It may just come down to a personal choice.

I feed Merricks B4 Grain so there really isn't much by way of additives in there. I haven't really compared and looked recently at any canned stuff. I prefer the dry stuff.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Poor [MENTION=4165]mdawson808[/MENTION] !!!! To much information!!!! Do what feels right for you to do, and for your puppy. We all have our opinions and a way of doing things. I do like the kibble and as I say i mix some can food with it. I do agree with @bizzymamabee that the hard kible also helps to prevent tartar and plaque together with brushing and good dental hygiene. But that is just my opinion.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in. hehe. Canned food actually IS better then dry but it may be too rich for the tummy of your little one. I wouldn't count on ANY food other than prey model RAW to help with dental hygiene. Maybe try a mix of dry and canned and see how that goes. You really just have to find what will work for your puppy. There are several good foods out there both wet and dry.

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
Haha I was just curious. Maybe it will be a treat for him because it comes out the same way it went in.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well, I can't think of anything more dreary than eating dry food day in and day out.

I make "gravy" with super hot water and a small scoop of Wellness canned food to mix in with the dry kibble. Like [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], I have one gulper and this slows him down to boot. I also add either yogurt, cottage cheese or a scrambled egg to their food. Egg breakfast is the only time I get to see Bea do a "happy breakfast dance" so it's worth it. ha ha ha

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] suggested adding protein to Bea's diet and it's helped with her energy level a great deal. I can see a difference. It's awesome.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.