Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hi everyone, so we lucked out last month and adopted Gio who is such an amazing dog. We happened to stumble on a French Bulldog online that we fell in love with that we are adopting and picking up next week! Gio will be 2 in april and he loves other dogs! And Diva is 3 and she currently lives with a few pugs who she gets along with. I am sure everything will be fine but still a little worried that they wont get along. Any advise or stories from when people introduced a new dog to the family?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
The best advice I can give is to introduce them on neutral ground. That seems to help the transition alot.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We have both dogs on leash and introduce them in a neutral location so no one gets territorial. Congratulations! I'm sure Gio and Diva will become best friends!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, neutral ground is always a good idea, good luck and I'm sure they will get along great. Plus thanks so much for adopting.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agreed... neutral ground and on leash. Once they meet take them for a walk.. dog on outside human on inside, gives them a sense of joining a pack

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We do introductions outside...more space seems to make the transition go smoother in my experience. Leashes are a good idea just in case they would get into a scuffle, that way you can pull them apart without putting your hands down there. Make sure you have a space for the new dog to go where he can be alone if he seems a little overstimulated.
...Those are just tips from my experience in introducting fosters to our resident pooches.

Congrats on your new frenchie. I'm sure everything will be great!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
The walk together, that 2bullymama mentioned is really important. It communicates like nothing else, that you are all a pack now. It should be done BEFORE you ever go into the house; it should be long enough for both dogs to be a little tired and when you get back to the house enter the house first and 'invite' the dog in. Have fun.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The walk together, that 2bullymama mentioned is really important. It communicates like nothing else, that you are all a pack now. It should be done BEFORE you ever go into the house; it should be long enough for both dogs to be a little tired and when you get back to the house enter the house first and 'invite' the dog in. Have fun.

Great pick up on doing the walk before entering the home -- I totally missed that ! it is very important

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
All perfect suggestions! Outside, pack walk, and then let the current bully invite the new bully in the house or choose to go in first himself. Congrats on the two new bullies! You are in for a wild ride hehe

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Thanks so much everyone for the great advise! I will post some pictures and let everyone knows how it goes. We pick Diva up Monday afternoon!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.