Potty break, home alone

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so Tipsy is 3mo shy of being 2YO. I take her to day camp everyday (except weekends, it's all daddy time). It's getting pricy so I wanted to take her maybe 2-3 times a week instead. Here's my problem: can she hold it for 8 hours while I am at work? Her potty schedule is 7am, 12pm, 5pm, 10pm and bed till 7am again. So I know she can hold it but feel guilty leaving her for 8 hours and without potty break. What are your thoughts?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! Physically she should be able to! Now, take into consideration, she is used to going out more...so I would back her off that slowly! Cut out the noon one and let her adjust to your schedule! She can do it! She holds it all night..she can do the same during the day too! :yes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It's probable that she won't even wake up all day to worry about it. When I leave in the morning, Bea goes into her crate and will stay there until my truck hits the driveway. ha ha (Bo is a different story) I'm sure she'll be fine and unless she's a VERY high energy dog, daycare five days a week is a lot. She'll benefit (draining energy wise) from just 3 days a week with a break in between days (to rest up for the next action packed day at camp). Bea (extremely low energy dog) was on a two day a week schedule when I was working and she was exhausted!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She will be fine as she will sleep the whole time you are gone. Also, twice a week should be plenty for a bully at daycare. i took my guy twice a week and they would sleep on the days off even if I was home with them

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah stays in the house loose all day everyday while we are at work. i put down pee pads for her to use if she has to go before we get here. works fine for us. im also going to try the potty patch and see how that is.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I think she should do fine, Vegas goes out in the morning, then I go to work for 7 hours a day, he goes when I come home and once more before bed. On the weekends when I am hope he does tend to want out more, but we have not had an accident since he was under 1 he will be 3 in 2 months.

OP
kev122573

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Okay so it's silly but I thought it was worth sharing. First day for Tipsy home while I was at work without coming home at noon. She went from 8-4, no accidents and slept all day. My mom was home, confined to my spare bedroom cause she hates dogs (how can you with my baby's cute face). She checked on Tipsy and reported that Tipsy slept on bed on my pillow the entire time. So now Tipsy gets play time and lots of love from daddy:) thanks for all your advice, you were all right:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay so it's silly but I thought it was worth sharing. First day for Tipsy home while I was at work without coming home at noon. She went from 8-4, no accidents and slept all day. My mom was home, confined to my spare bedroom cause she hates dogs (how can you with my baby's cute face). She checked on Tipsy and reported that Tipsy slept on bed on my pillow the entire time. So now Tipsy gets play time and lots of love from daddy:) thanks for all your advice, you were all right:)

Great news.... enjoy your daddy and bully time

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi and a late :welcome: to EBN! My two older boys, Wilson and Jack, are 1 now and have been crated during the day for 10 years when we go to work. They started holding it 99% during this time at about age 6 months to our surprise, and that's with water in their crates. While every dog is individual and we ask a lot of them to hold it all day, but with practice she should be fine - she'll probably surprise you. It's funny when you're home they go out often but when crated they can last quite a long time. Tipsy quite the handsome boy.

MaxwellsMomma

Feb 1, 2012
north east Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Maxwell
Glad to hear she did well for you. Don't forget that there are also people that will go and let your pets out for you, if you are so inclined to allow someone access to your home. We sometimes use our babysitter since she already has a key to the house and familiar to the animals.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.