Update

mistshadow

Dec 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena and Ty
Well it's been a while since I've been on the forum, but I finally got my computer back.

Athena is doing well, she recovered from her infection. At her last puppy check we found that she has a bellybutton hernia. They are going to spay her a little early (at 16 weeks) so that they can repair the hernia at the same time. Otherwise a clean bill of health so far. She is getting so big, she is 18 lbs at last check. I think the breeder was right when she said she is going to be a big girl.

we've had quite a few frustrations with her though. One being she loves feet. In any way she can have them, anything from licking, biting, sitting on them, laying on them and sniffing them. It doesn't matter if you have socks and shoes on or not, she has to be on your feet all the time. We give her a firm no, tried squirting her with a water bottle, puppy timeouts in her crate nothing seems to work. Another frustration is I have NEVER had a dog (or bully) that loves to chew/bite the way she does. You can be holding her and trying to pet her and she will try and bite. Even if you don't allow her to she will sit there with her mouth open and try to get to you. She weill chew/bit/lick anything she can get close to her mouth. Whether it be you, furniture, woodwork, toys, bedding, you get the idea. We are constantly trying to redirect her to positive things to chew on. But she goes right back. She has all but destroyed our gaming chair. And as I type this she is trying to destroy her bed. I don't get it. We have provided her with all different types of things to chew on, ropes, dog balls, nylabones, real bones and stuffingless toys. Now she plays with these items also and has destroyed a good many of them already. But it is never enough, she still tries to chew on whatever she can find.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Glad overall that she is doing well. As far as the chewing and foot fetish. Sounds like you are doing what you need to with supplying toys and redirection. You just need to keep up with the positive redirect religiously, being consistent with constant supervision when not in her crate. She's not gonna "get it" if allowed to get away with it one time and reprimanded another.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When squirting her... are you hitting her in the face? that is the best way to get them to respond to it.

Glad she is doing better - good luck with the surgery

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Athena sounds like Ruggles when he was a baby. She will grow out of the foot thing, but you've got to be consistent. Hopefully she'll outgrow the chewing on things she's not supposted to. Ruggles is 5 now, doesn't chew on furniture but will shred and eat a dog bed, pillow, area rug, etc. We had to Ruggles proof the house. We have had 5 other Bulldogs over 30 years and all of the rest of them grew out of the chewing up everything stage by the time they were 1.

Good luck with the surgery!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Nice to hear from you! Jake also had an umbilical hernia. We had him neutered at 11 months and he was just fine. Normally, if the hernia isn't huge and isn't growing,they do just fine with waiting until their normal spay or neuter time. The biting and chewing seems to go on and on! :bang: the biting will subside soon, the chewing and destroying..jake is still doing that! Be firm and consistent! Glad you're back!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like typical puppy. they love foot and to chew, just be consistent like others have say and she will grow out of most of it. My Lucy still can not sleep on a bed in her crate because she will shred it. Just be patient and keep up the redirect. It will get better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online