I'm freaked out... dog theft? a real threat?

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], is your nosey neighbor's name Mrs. Kravitz? :laugh:

I think i'm a lot more naive about bulldogs getting stolen. I mean, of course I know this happens but i did not realize it was such an alarming rate. I know that bulldogs in general garner a heck of a lot of attention from people. I think I get stopped by every other person i pass by while on our walks. Some want to know how much $ they cost, others will say, "they're expensive, aren't they?" I will definitely be very cautious while we do our walks as many times we go around the neighborhood when it's dark already.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Oh man you guys are freaking me out! We've had loads of contractors in our home lately since we are getting our basement done. They've all met and love the dogs. On top of this I get stopped ALL THE TIME by people, some will stop their cars, others will cross the street just to talk to us. I answer any questions they have except $$ cos' I think it's rude to ask a stranger that. When I garden in the front they are with me on a waist-leash or sometimes sleep on the deck if I'm doings chores in the yard.

Also, I'm rethinking the bathroom situation because in the morning I just open the door and they do their business in the dog run, I don't supervise I just open the door to let them in 2 mins later. We have a 6 ft fence EXCEPT along the dog run its 4.5 ft. I'm so paranoid now, so many security gaps in this operation!! Haha.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yea this is a problem and it makes me nervous when people start asking to many questions about sarah. bf lives in a smaller place and this town like 20 min from us a lady had her bully stolen out of her front yard. she worked at petsmart and told us about it. sarah stays in the house but still i dont tell noone where i live that i dont know. and that i have a bully on top of it. ive considered getting her chipped even though she stays in the house all the time just for this reason. she has so many allergies that she would suffer horribly if not with me. i think taking precautions and just being wary of things is key. and dont leave them outside in a fence in a neighborhood alone. ive heard many stories of bullies being stolen out of their yards. just be cautious not crazy lol.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It sucks having to be paranoid....well, cautious. I'm not paranoid - at least, I don't think so. Case in point: yesterday, I'm walking with the dogs at "the Slough"; a popular spot for runners and bicyclists and here comes this character down the path. Immediately the dogs decide he's a friend and want to bond with him. He lets Bo lick his face and ooohs and ahhhs over how beautiful Bea is. I notice he's carrying four golf clubs. Callaways. I thought, "What could keep him from smashing my head with these and running off with my dogs...? Nothing." I am particularly intuitive however, and I didn't get a creepy vibe off this guy at all - but we kept the little meeting short and moved on down the opposite way on the path.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Uggh this is so scary and makes me really nervous. I've always been worried about theft. Delilah is microchipped and wears an ID tag.

She's never really unsupervised. I let her out in the fenced in yard to go potty but she comes right back in..she's not out there long and I watch her. She's always around me when we're out. I'm constantly getting asked about how much Delilah was and I don't feel comfortable answering. People are always asking about if I would breed her too and I always explain she's spayed.

and now I'm paranoid about my car. o.o I have a "peace, love, and english bulldogs" license plate frame, a sticker that says, "there's no love like bullie love" and a bulldog decal on the side window. yikes..

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Oh man you guys are freaking me out! We've had loads of contractors in our home lately since we are getting our basement done.
QUOTE]

I would definately take extra measures after having contractors in the house !!

Christemo

Jan 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Not yet
There is always AngiesList for background checking contractors.
I've been told not to take Amelia, my hedgehog, out for these exact reasons.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.