I'm freaked out... dog theft? a real threat?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Bully thefts are popular in my city too. Especially puppies. A litter of puppies was stolen from a backyard a year ago and they were found in a garbage bag (ALIVE AND KICKING!) beside a garbage bin in an alley. A couple of months ago, another litter was stolen from a pet shop very close to me. The thief was trying to sell them on craigslist, was found and arrested.

I don't walk the boys at night alone either, only during the day when it's fully bright outside and when my neighbours are walking their dogs. My house is alarmed and I know that the police will be here immediately when something's not right. I know this because my sis didn't know how to disarm it once and a couple of ociffers (lol) where here in an instant. The false alarm cost me a pretty penny, but hey, at least I know they'll be here. I also hide them in a bedroom when a repair person needs to stop by. Can never be too safe!

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Once ..when Jake was just starting to be able to go on walks..my hubby and I noticed two new people we hadn't seen before on our trail. It's kind of isolated and really only used by neighbors, so we all know each other and each other's dogs. The "strangers" stopped my hubby and was asking about Jake. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up...and we just kind of brushed them off. We both felt uncomfortable enough to talk about who the heck they were! The very next day,I was walking both my dogs in the same area and the female met me on a curve. She said.."Are those dogs expensive?" I wanted to run..but I knew that wasn't an option.:ROFL: so I said..not him..he's a mixed breed from the shelter..cost us $35 just like this one and pointed to my Dena Dog! Ohhhh she said and guess what?? Never saw her again! But...it definitely made me realize..jerks are in every neighborhood and every city. And mountain lions and rattle snakes aren't the only creepy things around my neighborhood! Be careful everyone!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - holy cow, that is a scary story. :eek: Good job with the quick thinking! And you are always welcome to be a nosey neighbor on my block! :D

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Sadly your Vet was telling you the truth. As others suggested have her microchip and I would not let her out alone. I always go out with Mocha whenever she has to do her bussiness or for play. One of us is always with her. I guess it depends on where you live too.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] that is one freaky and scary story. But your answer was great. I would have froze!!! Another thing I was thinking is people can always by a sign that says beware of the dog and you can order sings that says your house has survelliance cameras even if your house isnt. I have seen them online.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Very true...and also nerve wrecking! 😖 Both of my boys I bought from a shady character...he used to live in a apartment across the street from us...he was always hurting for money and just didnt seem like good news!!! My fiancé and I loving dogs and being softies bought our boys because we knew he wasn't taking care of them and didn't want these pups to have bad lives and maybe even end up in dog fighting....😳 like I said he was a VERY shady character!!! So long story short he moved away and I told my fiancé we r getting an alarm because I don't want him coming back and taking my boys for a quick $$...I wasn't going to take any chances not knowing where he lives now if something ever were to happen....

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Every time neighbors or neighborhood people ask me about my dogs I always tell them how much trouble they are with the allergy thing and how broke I am because of dog surgeries and how it's a fulltime job cleaning their wrinkles and how easy it would be to have an outdoor dog...blah, blah blah! They usually never ask me again about my dogs. Actually now they see me as a real committed dog owner cuz I'm always walking my P.I.A dogs. LOL

[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I actually have "I Love Bulldog" car stickers but never felt comfortable advertising so I have never used them.

[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] My bulldog Wilson's daddy was stolen right out of his own yard even with a block wall. The breeder never gave up. She posted flyers with rewards offered. Kept in touch with the police and buttered them up with cookies and treats. :yes: Well someone who wanted the reward money finally contacted her and said he knew who had the dog. (This was six whole months later) She got her stud Bulldog back and the guy who had him had bought it off the street. He had a family and said his kids loved the bulldog too and could they visit him. She said, "H--- No!!! :cursing:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
My house is alarmed and I have cameras, also I make it a point to mention to everyone that asks about Bertie to say she is fixed. It seems that everyone always asks about breeding. I figure if they know she can't be bred, maybe it will be a little safer. But, I don't think anyone could steal Bertie....when we go to Petco, she stays right beside me and when the girl at checkout gives her a treat, she won't take it. I have to take it and then give it to her myself. Bertie is a big daddies Girl!

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Thanks everybody... I guess its time to set some rules with the kids about taking her out unsupervised. Microchipping was part of our vet's 'Puppy Package' so we have that done.

Being alert is probably the best thing we can do... We want her socialized so we'll still do the dog parks, sporting events (where allowed) and basically have her just be part of the family.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thanks everybody... I guess its time to set some rules with the kids about taking her out unsupervised. Microchipping was part of our vet's 'Puppy Package' so we have that done.

Being alert is probably the best thing we can do... We want her socialized so we'll still do the dog parks, sporting events (where allowed) and basically have her just be part of the family.

That is all you can do really. Just like everything else have to know what the risks are to protect yourself. Most people dont think of this stuff I dont think so you are in good shape.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Unfortuneatly its all true. Here in Ontario Canada, purebred dog theft is on the rise, including an entire litter or bulldog puppies recently. Mine are microchipped, locks on all gates and I have a web cam on them during the day that I check from my Iphone. I also am thinking of putting a sign on the gate that they are neutered/spayed. I have planted shrubs etc.. to try to block any view of them when they go out in the dog run, which is a chain link fence (although we are quite set back from the road). I would never let the kids take them for walk unattended, or leave in a car while you ran into store. I never let them get more than a couple of feet from me when outside, including when we go to the dogpark. They are absolutely special and you really can't blame people for wanting them. Additionally, I do a lot of Obedience training to try and get %100 Recall in case they did get away from me. Take precautions !

H

heff101

Ok..You guys are making me sooo nervous! Yes..I go to the dog park but there are a lot of people there and I make sure no one follows me home. Bubba is in a crate during the day, the other 2 are out (Bubba is not trustworthy yet! :() All doors are locked but there are quite a few sliders out to the pool area....his crate overlooks it on the inside. I just can't see keeping him in his crate in the dark bedroom all by himself! There, apparantly have been a few break ins in the neighborhood lately so now...I'm really worried! Bubba gets fixed next month and he is not microchipped yet! Ok...no wonder I don't sleep well! lol

Bubba is cute. Whats your address again?

LOLOLOL

Joking

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online