I'm freaked out... dog theft? a real threat?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Molly had her first visit with our 'family' vet yesterday (her first vet visits were at the breeders vet). We had him check the tires, undercarriage and basically your normal bumper-to-bumper inspection. She passed with flying colours.

More importantly my wife got to grill our vet on bulldog knowledge. He too passed with an A+ grade from my wife.

He did say something that has us a little freaked out... he said dog theft is on a rise in our area and Bulldogs are the #1 stolen dogs.

I need you guys to talk me off the ledge. Should i still let my kids take her on walks? I'm thinking about not doing dog parks when she gets older? Maybe upgrade the security system on the house?

Seven years ago, while my wife and i where dating, somebody stole her dachshund puppy from her back yard. She's a little more freaked out then i am....

Molly may never see the sun again!!! (ok.. joking.. but we are worried).

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I worry about this too. I think I wouldn't let kids go on walks with her without an adult! I've actually heard of jerks stealing bully's from kids in their front yard.

H

heff101

Dog theft is VERY real. Bulldogs fetch huge $$$ on the black market.
All our fence gates at home are always locked and Heff rarely stays out long unattended.
We NEVER leave him unattended in vehicle even with all the doors locked.
Our home security system is always on when we are away.
Take this very seriously folks..

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Unfortunately that is true no matter where you live, I would not let the kids (how old are they?) go with out an adult. I see bully's all the time here in Florida on Craigslist, I often wonder if they were stolen. They are the #1 stolen dogs because people can still turn around and make lots of $ on them.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yeah, unfortunately it is a very real thing. We only take Frank on walks when hubby can and that is because he is a giant and has CCW permit. We also live out in the country so we are less worried out here but one of us is always with him in the yard. He is our baby and we would be absolutely devastated if he was taken. I always worry about break ins though if we are ever out for groceries or something...

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION], in our last house we had lawn care every Tues. Morning, I would shut all the blinds and curtains when I left for work so they could not see in. Now I have a 6ft. fenced yard, with a police officer on one side of me and a nosey neighbor that always is watching on the other side (not a bad thing). We have a quarter acre so I rarely take Vegas for walks we just play out in the back yard now. I throw the ball and he watches while I go get it for him :ROFL:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] - :ROFL: at you playing "catch" with Vegas!! That is exactly how Frank likes to "play catch" too! I get more exercise than he does! :lol:
Your set up now sounds awesome - another benefit to your new house! Nosy neighbors are good for some things...we moved out in the country to get away from nosy neighbors and now I miss them for that reason.

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I WISH!! and I was just corrected by Joe, our fence is 8ft. not 6, :blush2: who knew??????

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
As everyone has said, it is VERY real, sadly. I am not even aloud to walk the pups by myself, hubby is so paranoid and honestly I agree. Heck we have a park right near us and he even thinks we should be driving to another park to walk and play cuz it makes him anxious just having someone see where we live with them. I do not buy any cute bumper stickers although I would LOVE to, or have cute banners or statues in the front yard. It is just a symbol of what you have and hponestly I want nobody to know what we have here. When asked at the park or wherever how much we paid or where we got them etc... I always downplay them like crazy and say they are rescues. Not that it makes any diff really, but hoping others will think less of them this way. How awful is it that we have to think of this?!?! Do not let your kids walk her by themselves or even be out front with her. These pups are too happy to go with most anyone which makes it even worse. Also get her chipped if she isnt already. Doesnt of course guarantee anything but it helps. Welcome!!! :D

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Don't forget to get a microchip!!!!!

Our girls are inside girls, we have great neighbors who are home all day and are Bully owners themselves!!! So they watch over the house all the time.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
we keep combination locks on both our gates... plus we have Jack, nobody's getting within a block without Jack going off.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Ok..You guys are making me sooo nervous! Yes..I go to the dog park but there are a lot of people there and I make sure no one follows me home. Bubba is in a crate during the day, the other 2 are out (Bubba is not trustworthy yet! :() All doors are locked but there are quite a few sliders out to the pool area....his crate overlooks it on the inside. I just can't see keeping him in his crate in the dark bedroom all by himself! There, apparantly have been a few break ins in the neighborhood lately so now...I'm really worried! Bubba gets fixed next month and he is not microchipped yet! Ok...no wonder I don't sleep well! lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think the most important thing about prevention is being aware of the problem. Being aware keeps you on that edge, just a little, so you don't do things without considering the risks.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.