Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm freaked out... dog theft? a real threat?

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I'm freaked out... dog theft? a real threat?

Quote Originally Posted by TheLost View Post
    Thanks everybody... I guess its time to set some rules with the kids about taking her out unsupervised. Microchipping was part of our vet's 'Puppy Package' so we have that done.

Being alert is probably the best thing we can do... We want her socialized so we'll still do the dog parks, sporting events (where allowed) and basically have her just be part of the family.
    That is all you can do really. Just like everything else have to know what the risks are to protect yourself. Most people dont think of this stuff I dont think so you are in good shape.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Unfortuneatly its all true. Here in Ontario Canada, purebred dog theft is on the rise, including an entire litter or bulldog puppies recently. Mine are microchipped, locks on all gates and I have a web cam on them during the day that I check from my Iphone. I also am thinking of putting a sign on the gate that they are neutered/spayed. I have planted shrubs etc.. to try to block any view of them when they go out in the dog run, which is a chain link fence (although we are quite set back from the road). I would never let the kids take them for walk unattended, or leave in a car while you ran into store. I never let them get more than a couple of feet from me when outside, including when we go to the dogpark. They are absolutely special and you really can't blame people for wanting them. Additionally, I do a lot of Obedience training to try and get %100 Recall in case they did get away from me. Take precautions !

heff101

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Kelly..you know men and their measurements!
    So really its 5 feet?

LOL

heff101

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaisapig View Post
    Ok..You guys are making me sooo nervous! Yes..I go to the dog park but there are a lot of people there and I make sure no one follows me home. Bubba is in a crate during the day, the other 2 are out (Bubba is not trustworthy yet! ) All doors are locked but there are quite a few sliders out to the pool area....his crate overlooks it on the inside. I just can't see keeping him in his crate in the dark bedroom all by himself! There, apparantly have been a few break ins in the neighborhood lately so now...I'm really worried! Bubba gets fixed next month and he is not microchipped yet! Ok...no wonder I don't sleep well! lol

Bubba is cute. Whats your address again?

LOLOLOL

Joking

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by heff101 View Post
    So really its 5 feet?

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by heff101 View Post
    Bubba is cute. Whats your address again?

LOLOLOL

Joking
    Glad your back perv

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

@heff101 Um..1800 Stayoff mydog blvd! ha ha

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@KMARINO, is your nosey neighbor's name Mrs. Kravitz?

I think i'm a lot more naive about bulldogs getting stolen. I mean, of course I know this happens but i did not realize it was such an alarming rate. I know that bulldogs in general garner a heck of a lot of attention from people. I think I get stopped by every other person i pass by while on our walks. Some want to know how much $ they cost, others will say, "they're expensive, aren't they?" I will definitely be very cautious while we do our walks as many times we go around the neighborhood when it's dark already.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    pretty sure I'm that nosey neighbor!
    that is one hell of a set of binoculars !!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    that is one hell of a set of binoculars !!!

Oyyyyyyyy. Christine! But I meant "in general".

Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)

Oh man you guys are freaking me out! We've had loads of contractors in our home lately since we are getting our basement done. They've all met and love the dogs. On top of this I get stopped ALL THE TIME by people, some will stop their cars, others will cross the street just to talk to us. I answer any questions they have except $$ cos' I think it's rude to ask a stranger that. When I garden in the front they are with me on a waist-leash or sometimes sleep on the deck if I'm doings chores in the yard.

Also, I'm rethinking the bathroom situation because in the morning I just open the door and they do their business in the dog run, I don't supervise I just open the door to let them in 2 mins later. We have a 6 ft fence EXCEPT along the dog run its 4.5 ft. I'm so paranoid now, so many security gaps in this operation!! Haha.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

yea this is a problem and it makes me nervous when people start asking to many questions about sarah. bf lives in a smaller place and this town like 20 min from us a lady had her bully stolen out of her front yard. she worked at petsmart and told us about it. sarah stays in the house but still i dont tell noone where i live that i dont know. and that i have a bully on top of it. ive considered getting her chipped even though she stays in the house all the time just for this reason. she has so many allergies that she would suffer horribly if not with me. i think taking precautions and just being wary of things is key. and dont leave them outside in a fence in a neighborhood alone. ive heard many stories of bullies being stolen out of their yards. just be cautious not crazy lol.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

It sucks having to be paranoid....well, cautious. I'm not paranoid - at least, I don't think so. Case in point: yesterday, I'm walking with the dogs at "the Slough"; a popular spot for runners and bicyclists and here comes this character down the path. Immediately the dogs decide he's a friend and want to bond with him. He lets Bo lick his face and ooohs and ahhhs over how beautiful Bea is. I notice he's carrying four golf clubs. Callaways. I thought, "What could keep him from smashing my head with these and running off with my dogs...? Nothing." I am particularly intuitive however, and I didn't get a creepy vibe off this guy at all - but we kept the little meeting short and moved on down the opposite way on the path.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads