Chronic Acute Hepatitis (CAH) Is it contagious to my bully?

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Hey everyone, I need a quick answer.

Taking Chunk over to meet my Dad's Schnauzer that is about 8 years old and had a CAH flare up last week. I need to know if this is contagious to my little guy and am hoping someone knows. My vet says it isn't but can't speak for the diagnosis from the Schnauzer's vet since he doesn't know why they put him on an antibiotic as well.

I just want to make sure this isn't communicable and regret it later on. Thanks for your help :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Since Hepatitis is normally in the liver -- I would agree it should not be contagious. I looked it up on my vet's web site and there was nothing referring to being contagious

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Found this too.... also antibiotics are given as a preventative measure to ward off any infections

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Infectious Canine Hepatitis Of Dogs (ICH, CAV-1)
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This disease is caused by a virus. It is part of a group called adenovirus (CAV-1). This disease is not infectious to people or cats, but foxes, wolves and bears also catch and carry it. Dogs catch this disease by inhaling or eating the virus that is present in the urine, nasal and eye secretions of other infected dogs. Dogs can carry and pass on the virus for up to a year after recovering. Canine Adenovirus is part of the vaccine combinations your puppy receives when it is 12 -16 weeks old. Although the virus in the vaccine is Canine Adenovirus 2, it protects against type 1 as well. After receiving this vaccination at 12 and 14 weeks of age, your dog will be immune to CAV-1and CAV-2 for many years - probably for life. So booster vaccinations are not needed. Because of the effectiveness of this vaccine, Canine Infectious Hepatitis has become very rare in dogs in the United States.
[/FONT]​

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, so even if it was contagious since he just had his second set of shots last week and only has one set left at 16 weeks he should be fine?

I am probably being overly cautious but he is happy and healthy and don't wan't to mess that up.

I think maybe CAH and ICH might be different.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3909]bigfwt04[/MENTION] I would NOT take your pup there. This disease is nothing to play with.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, so even if it was contagious since he just had his second set of shots last week and only has one set left at 16 weeks he should be fine?

I am probably being overly cautious but he is happy and healthy and don't wan't to mess that up.

I think maybe CAH and ICH might be different.

I would not take him over till after all his shots are done.

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
So anyone have any good solid info on this or when he will be immune? I didn't take him tonight but that is where he will stay when we go out of town for work and I need him to get used to it.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
y not call ur dads vet and speak to him? have ur dad call and give them permission to speak to u about his care

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.