Puppy breathing heavy and fast while sleeping

eversolulu

Jan 25, 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Talon
I'm really new to owning an English Bulldog, and I've only had my baby girl Talon for a day. I've read up on English Bulldogs a lot while getting her but I haven't come across this problem, normally during the day, she's fine, normal little snorts here and there. But while she's sleeping, she starts breathing really fast and hard, I'm worried because it just sounds like she's having such a hard time breathing and I'm not sure if that's normal or if she's too hot or something. Anyone have any input on why she's doing that?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Congratulations on your new pup! Have you taken her to your vet for a check up? It's important to do when you first get them just to make sure what the breeder told you is true and to get your pup off to a healthy start. Plus..it will save you worrying!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
It sounds like she's just dreaming. She is in a new home and new surroundings so most probably she's running around in her dreams chasing a squirrel.......

Im sure she's ok.... Let us know tomorrow if she does the same....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome and congrats on the new pup. This sounds normal, but never hurts to have her checked out which is a good idea for a new pup. Just to make sure her nostrils aren't too narrow, (which can be fixed) or she does not have an elongated pallot, (which also can be fixed). I am assuming she is only 8 to 12 weeks old?? If so they do tend to breath a little fast went they sleep. Please post pics of that little cutie, before the pic police get a hold of you. :tease: Make yourself at home and post away.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the WONDERFUL world of bulldogs and EBN. As the others said, get her to your vet for a well checkup and his/her opinion on the nostrils/pallet and eliminate the worrying cause it does sound very normal for a pup

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Glad you found this forum. There is a lot to learn here, so keep coming back to ask questions. We would love to see pictures of Baby Talon cuz we loves babies here and can't get enough of anything Bulldog.

4c2a01ac.jpg

pdac1975

Mar 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lord Wallace (Wally)
Wally did the same thing when we first got him. It freaked me out because he was breathing so fast and shallow. I called the Vet and they said it was perfectly normal, especially for a bulldog. I would still get a vet visit in ASAP though just for peace of mind. Otherwise you'll find yourself worrying about every little thing.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Welcome !! I also agree that you need to make an appointment for your puppy. There a lot of vaccinations that she will need and checkups. My Mocha is 2 years old and I still worry when she starts making funny noises at nite. I do remember that when she was a baby her breathing was a bit faster than it is today.

Most Reactions