Which one should I get fixed first and how old?

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
When did you get your eb spayed/neutrred? I have a male and a female, they will turn 5 months next week so I got to decide pretty soon which one will have the surgery first and when it would be the best time. Aldo also needs a couple baby teeth extracted since they didn't fall out. Have you heard of this? I don't want to risk a pregnancy with those two! I have read conflicting stories about getting the procedure done earlier vs later.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
There is a lot of different ideas on when to spay and neuter. Don't really know who is right but I trust my vet, who is an old school bully vet and he suggest waiting until the males are 18 months old, the females a few months after their first heat cycle. Some people like to spay their females before the first heat cycle just so they won't have to go through the mess. Does it make a difference?? I guess it depends on who you ask. Different vets have different opinions.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with David..you will get a ton of different opinions. I had Jake neutered at 11 months. He had an umbilical hernia that we were waiting to have repaired at the same time and we didn't want to wait too much longer to have that repaired. We've had mostly female dogs (non bully's) and most of them were spayed about 6 months. Good Luck!!

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Chelsea went in around 6 months. She had a laparoscopic spay, microchip, some special coating for her teeth, nose lasered and her soft palate lasered. All the vets told me around 6 months.... plus I couldn't take her to daycare or meet-ups unless she was fixed by then.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea went in around 6 months. She had a laparoscopic spay, microchip, some special coating for her teeth, nose lasered and her soft palate lasered. All the vets told me around 6 months.... plus I couldn't take her to daycare or meet-ups unless she was fixed by then.

wow! she had a lot of stuff done, Aldo will be getting his tooth extracted as well! poor baby boy! How was Chelsea's recovery? painful? did you keep her crated? not sure if they have the laparoscopic option here, the vet didn't mention that..:cry:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Whenever we have had a puppy pass through this house (we used to foster dogs for a rescue nearby) we have always had them fixed as soon able just to prevent any "accidents". If it were me deciding...I would do Katara's spay first just because an unplanned litter of puppies can be a huge issue. You could always get Aldo and Katara done at the same time?

Good Luck with them either way :) They are beautiful bullies!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would probably get her done first. i tried to have sarah done at a spay neuter clinic and they would not do her as she was a bit overweight. next the vet goes oh ill do her so then after her heat cycle and such i mention it and she is like skimming around it like she dont want to do it now. so here i sit with a 5 year old female that noone wants to spay and now im to afraid to have it done. my males are fixed of course but after a few times of diapers and mess you will get her done first. just my opinion.

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
The coating for her teeth was just to keep her teeth protected... it was a new offering that the vet had.

The laser work healed quickly... her nose just looked gross for a week or two (like she had lots of boogers)...

The laparoscopic spay heals much faster (and costs more).

We had to try to keep her still the whole 2 weeks the vet told us to or maybe that was how long she couldn't go to daycare. She was ready to play and be herself again the day after surgery. The pain meds helped because they tired her out a little.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My vet told me to wait a year (he's a bully vet) and he wouldn't do until then. Jack and Wilson get tipped tucked on February 15th. I'm having them both done at the same time. Emma goes in on the 4th for her vet check and I'll be asking him then what he thinks. I know I need to have it done before she turns one though. I'll be watching this as I'm new to the female doggy world.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
The when is always a big debate. Personally after 6 months is good enough for us, although Cutty and Miila were both older when we got them so they were both just after a year. Mugsy was done at 6 months at the same time as Cutty and doing them together made it easier I think since they didnt want to play as much. If it were me I would do both at the same time I think and hopefully they stay mellow together. ;)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We have neutered our male Bulldogs as early as five & a half months because of other issues that needed to be taken care of (cherry eye, umbilical hernia). Others have been neutered at 6 to 8 months. It is easier on the dog when they are younger.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie was done at 2 years because a number of medical issues meant that we kept putting it off. Daddy was done at 6 months. We will have Linus fixed but that too will be 6 months or later. Haven't really thought about that yet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You got a lot of great info... my vet says anything over six months is fine

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
so I think the consensus is 6 months for both.. I think it is feasible since Aldo needs to have that tooth extracted as well.. I just am afraid of taking care of both of their recoveries at the same time plus my daughters and work.. :eek:

Most Reactions