Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I would say try waiting till about a year, and then if it doesn't drop, think about getting the surgery done.

Usually the vet can feel exactly where the undescended testicle is by feeling in the lower abdomen area, so they know right where to go. It's a lot worse when it's more hidden and they have to do exploratory surgery.

I would really consider the surgery though because if it doesn't drop it can end up being cancerous.

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
We decided were gonna wait til about 10 months...who knows maybe a year! Thank you all for all ur advice and suggestions/experiences! They are much appreciated!!!! 😊🐶

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
My vet said that Bulldogs should not be spayed/neutered until 2 years old. Spaying/Neutering can prevent their skull from reaching its correct size which in turn causes entropian (excess skin around eyes, turns slightly in and ulcerates the cornea) a very common occurrance in bulldogs and other 'wrinkly-faced' breeds. This is not a one time occurrance, entropian becomes a constant state and requires eye surgery (I have been quoted $3000, to fix mine). I wish I had waited...

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracoliv can u post a picture of ur bully who has this entropian....? I have one bulldog that was nuetered at 6 months....😳

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Im glad you decided to wait... I would too... I really hope that it drops...

ozbull

Nov 19, 2011
Western Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Honey Rose
We had the same problem with Dexter...I would not wait..We waited until Dexter was 13 months and where lucky we did it then. The testicle that was in his abdomen was greatly malformed and had started to 'grow'. This growth 9 times out of 10 turns cancerous due to the internal body heat. Fortunately the vet (who we love) got all of it out successfuly.
It took his 4 hours ;-( .. $1724 later plus a ulrasound for $300 ...Pet insurance would not cover it as it was desexing...Grrr

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhh Geeze.....what to do...? 😳😲😖

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
I really don't know what to do....?😳😖😣😠😲😔😖

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I really don't know what to do....?

Honestly..in Jakes litter, 3 of the 6 males had this same problem! Every one of them waited until they were around a year to be neutered and have this fixed. Every time Jake went in to the vets for a well puppy exam (shots,etc) she would check for the missing link! All of them ended up dropping before they were neutered. Absolutely....have it taken care of around a year. But like I said, we had a stray who was (guessing) 8 years old when his was fixed and no problem. Don't panic..it's much more common than you think! And FYI..the whole neutering and growth issue has been roundly proven to be false. For example take a look at Vegas..[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]. He was neutered at around 4 months..and I don't think his head size has suffered a bit. My vet, who has over 30 bully's in her small one doctor practice, goes crazy when she hears this! We waited until Jake was 11 months old just because he was behaving himself and I felt better giving him time for surgery. :nervous:
All I can tell you is..I would give it some time to drop. Your plans of 10 months seem more than reasonable.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Gracoliv can u post a picture of ur bully who has this entropian....? I have one bulldog that was nuetered at 6 months....

I don't really have a good pic of her eyes when its been noticeable, but you can tell with entropian, b/c the dog will be uncomfortable, trying to rub eyes on the couch etc.. The dogs eyes can appear cloudy and the dog will always seem to have more eye gunk than you think is normal. The vet will look at closely, under light and also do a dye uptake test to diagnose. Keeping the eyes moist with tear gel helps with comfort. Most vets highly recommend spaying/neutering very young, I dont think many think about the entropian thing being related to excess skin and head size. I think it all depends on the dog as well, my other bulldog has never had a problem and he was nuetered at 5 months, he doesnt have a very wrinkly face though.

OP
Jzepeda87

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't really have a good pic of her eyes when its been noticeable, but you can tell with entropian, b/c the dog will be uncomfortable, trying to rub eyes on the couch etc.. The dogs eyes can appear cloudy and the dog will always seem to have more eye gunk than you think is normal. The vet will look at closely, under light and also do a dye uptake test to diagnose. Keeping the eyes moist with tear gel helps with comfort. Most vets highly recommend spaying/neutering very young, I dont think many think about the entropian thing being related to excess skin and head size. I think it all depends on the dog as well, my other bulldog has never had a problem and he was nuetered at 5 months, he doesnt have a very wrinkly face though.

Poor baby...that sounds very uncomfortable.....😔

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.