Potty training a deaf 3 year old, english bulldog

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
I have recently started fostering a deaf bulldog...she is not potty trained. She almost seems backwards...she starts to go inside (on the blanket/dog bed) and I bring her outside very quickly before she had chance to finish...and she won't go outside. This is also after being outside for a while. She goes in her crate and in baby gated bathroom. Being that she has been in and out of homes, I have no clue how she lived. I have a bulldog that has NEVER had an accident since the day we got her (8wks old)...so this is a little rough for me.

Any other suggestions would be great. BTW...we have fenced yard, so I can just let them out. My dog goes to french door and scratches at glass to go out and come in.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Dogs can learn Sign-language. I am sure it is a lot more difficult and you would need more patience because they would have to "see" you instead of "hear" you (which could be done a distance away) I would go online and do some research about this. I am sure there are ways to instantly distract a deaf dog and get their attention. Their senses to vibration and sight take over quite a bit more when deaf. Good luck and keep us posted.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I have a girlfriend who's daughter can't talk and she taught all her dogs sign... So it can be done, with work... good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
First of all I want to say kudos to you for adopting a bully!!

What has worked for us and many others for this is to try feeding them in their crate. Even sprinkle dog food onto their bed, and since she is deaf I would also bring some gummy treats outside and if she does go potty, give her one. And also your other bulldog too- but only when going potty outside. Hopefully after some time she will get the hang of it, it will take some work and effort on your part, baby steps and hopefully soon she will figure it all out!

I do hope you can share some pictures with us, we would love to hear more bully stories from you :)

Last edited:
OP
L

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
Just a little update...we are fostering the deaf one and the other English :bully: is ours. lol. I have tried the feeding in the crate too...I think she may have been puppy pad trained, as she mainly goes on any towel or blanket on the floor... I have been trying the signing, but it is hard again because it appears she may have been hit as she is scours down as you were going to hit her, so I have to be careful with that too. I do the thumbs up for good girl and try the pointing towards the butt for sit and after I wrote the first post... I got her to go outside (after being out there for 20 minutes). Luckily the Florida weather had a little cool off after the rain. I don't want to resort to the puppy pad, as I would like to accomplish training her, so that it is easier for her to be adopted out.

holly.jpg
lulu holly2.jpg
lulu holly.jpg

Here is LuLu (my dog on the couch) and Holly on the stool. They were watching a movie. 2nd pic of Holly sleeping, 3rd is LuLu up close and Holly with new pink collar.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
They are adorable and it sounds like you are making progress. Thank you for sharing the story and the pictures.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
well kudos for fostering then! That is awesome to hear too! Sorry but when I am on my iPod I tend to read pretty fast and get distracted LOL

They are all adorable and I hope others may have some more suggestions for you! Thanks for sharing :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gosh I just love that second picture. You gotta enter that one in the photo contest- it is so cute and funny and makes me smile! :D

Kristin & Sophie

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie So-lo
It will take 15-45 times of complete understanding for her to get it... with the hand signals. Not just her with being deaf- but any dog that is learning new behaviors for that matter. I read that she cowers when you do a hand signal... try something different... something that doesn't scare her. I use hand signals for my dog- she is a K-9 Therapy dog as well as my personal Service dog- so there are often times we are out in public places that I am talking to someone and don't want to interrupt by telling her to lay down- so we do hand signals as well. Which we started when she was in basic obedience. So you are certainly in a more difficult situation as she is a rescue and 3 at that. But she can and will learn! When I tell Sophie to sit- I actually use an open palm and cup it up into a closed fist... so it looks as if you are grabbing something in your hand and twisting it up with a closed hand to look at it... there is a signal for American Sign Language that is meant to be Dog- where you take your open hand on your leg and snap your hand and fingers in an upward motion- that could be used for something... I roll or wave my hand towards me when she is across the room - that is her sign for here... I hold my hand up towards her where my palm is facing her- for wait. I use a flat hand palm facing the floor and move in down towards the floor as her down command... why don't you send me a message with your email address- I can scan them for you- and email them to you if you would like. Since it is all very new and very confusing for her- start slow... with 1 or 2 hand signals/commands... make sure you write them all down and keep track of them- that way you don't forget something you have already used for something else- as well as it can be send to her new forever home family when they see what a beautiful and sweet girl she is. Since she is deaf- and can't hear you... she can feel vibrations... so if you need to get her attention try stomping on the floor... of course you don't want to do that when she is sleeping- unless you really need something... as it can startle them. LOL---- I had a Lhasa/****-zu mix when I was in high school that as she got older lost her hearing- so there are certainly ways of doing it. However it is difficult and again takes a lot of time and love. She will see your body language, your facial expressions, and sense your stress and frustrations... make sure that when she does do something good- to make a big ordeal about it! Big smiles, lots of hugs, you can even use the ASL sign of both hand in the air by your face/head range- open hands with spread fingers and you twist your wrists meaning Great Job... Good Girl.... etc... Good luck- and KUDOS to you for being such a wonderful foster mom with a special needs girl!

OP
L

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
My email is [email protected]

Unfortunately, I have all ceramic tile through out the entire house...no vibrations here. I have been doing thumbs up and clapping when she is good girl. Early this morning she went inside and then pounded at the gate to go out...so... I may get the puppy pad, as we are not used to the inside bathroom and my other is having a rough time with it and is scared it may alter our dogs behavior. I have tried the crate too and she goes in there, so I gave up on that, as at least being gated to the bathroom, she has less chance of laying in it and having to give a bath every morning...she already has sensitive skin.

I appreciate all the help from everyone
013.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.