I need help please!!!!!

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear will be 6 months old next week. He has 3 moods. Hungry. Biting. and Tired.

Ok so the biting I will mix with playful. If you watch videos of bulldog puppies and have had more than 1 yourself, you know how they play with each other. The problem with Bear is he carries on and on and on and on...but he bites, sometimes he does it hard. Like i'll be playing with him and he likes to go after my hand, i had my hand on the floor and my head was down, he went after it and i had moved my hand so he got my cheek with his teeth. ok my fault. but right now he was playing like a nut and he got my nose. What used to be cute and funny is now becoming a problem and I fear he won't stop. Right now when he does it we "shun" him. he hates this. My son is a frequent victim with scratches and he's gotten the teeth treatment as well.

If anyone has ideas on how to curb his biting, toys don't seem to help. please let me know, i can't do a pet trainer or obedience school at the moment and i have been waiting for this to pass but i can't put anyone at risk with his behavior. I will not ever get rid of him but i need to be able to keep my son safe though i know he isn't doing this intentionally all the same it still hurts!!!:eek:

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
I had the same problem with Chesty when he was a pup...I thought it was cute, then it turn into not so cute as I got bite with sharp teeth more and more. what I did and it worked for Chesty.... I put small rocks into a plastic bottle, to make a very loud sudden noise.... when we played I would hold it in one hand and when he would bite me at all even playing I would yell no as I shook the bottle hard and it would scare him and at the same time break the concentration...soon it stopped all together

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
We tried the rocks (my mom is mom2bullies) like my mom did, but it quickly became a toy. We tried pot lids..........worked for a few months,,,then it wasn't scary anymore. We tried shunning him....he didn't understand the connection between the two. We tried the water bottle.......but O likes to drink out of it. HMMMMMMMM! I feel for you. Vegas eventually outgrew it (for the most part) but little O! She is another story. I might have to go back to the rocks in the bottle with her. If you ever figure it out, let me know.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Canned air - a short puff in the general direction (but not directly at) the pup...it has worked for me!

(See also: Miracle in a Can thread under "General Bulldog Talk")

conwyatt

Mar 1, 2010
I did not have a biting problem with my bully, but I did have a similar situation when my Australian shepard was a puppy. The trainer I hired told me to cry out sharply when I was nipped and then shun my pup for period of time, as you are doing. Crying out loudly replicates the behavior of the littermates when they are nipped during play. It definitely helped my aussie stop a bad habit.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie did this when I first brought her home and I have little grandkids who are here a lot, so it HAD to STOP! I discovered if I grabbed her muzzle and held her mouth shut and put my face right at her face and told her NO BITING!! she quit doing it. Now if she's playing kind of rough and she starts to use her teeth on me a little I just tell her no biting, and she understands and stops.

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thanks for the tips!! I'll try them all. I do the shunning but its so hard to be conissitent because he is so cute its hard to ignore him. My concern is other people and the biting in the face, he is playing and it isn't malicious i just have to get him to relate that to NO!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I too thought it was "cute" when my Vegas was a pup, I actually started a new job with two teeth marks (scabs) on the bridge of my nose, he use to go for the face, bit my 22 yr. old's lip til it bled, It was not cute!! A water bottle he loved and would just bite/drink the water, finally I had to put him in time out in his cage, as he barked non-stop, eventually he just quit. He NEVER bites now at 14 month's, but even when he was going through that stage it was not aggresive, it was in play, but left us wounded. I don't have a solution, but I do know he eventually quit.
May302010Vegas007-3.jpg

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Oh, I forgot, this last post reminded me, I did bannish Gertie to her crate a few times early on, when she just would not stop! I know you're not supposed to use the crate as punishment, but she really seems to like her crate, so I figured it wasn't doing any harm and I really needed to get my point across. She was BAD about biting when I first brought her home, but now (just 6 weeks later) she doesn't bite much at all. She will try it every now and then and if you just say, Gertie? (with a tone like "you KNOW this a big NO NO), she usually quits before you even have to say No.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I did not have too much of an issue with biting. I don't know why- but early on when they start to bite with their little puppy teeth I usually act like it hurts way more than it does, seems to keep them from doing it cuz they don't wanna hurt their mamma. :) I will yelp. I will pretend to cry. I will be overly dramatic about it.

And they look at me like- what did I do? :(

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I did not have too much of an issue with biting. I don't know why- but early on when they start to bite with their little puppy teeth I usually act like it hurts way more than it does, seems to keep them from doing it cuz they don't wanna hurt their mamma. :) I will yelp. I will pretend to cry. I will be overly dramatic about it.

And they look at me like- what did I do? :(

I did that too! I say "you hurt me" and so whenever I say it he stops whatever it is (like scratching me when he jumps up on me) and makes like a guilty face.

Ruthann Phillips

Aug 4, 2010
I agree with everyone else. Overreacting to the nip with a loud yell, each and everytime he nips will put an end to the biting very quickly.

Kristin & Sophie

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie So-lo
I agree with everyone else. Overreacting to the nip with a loud yell, each and everytime he nips will put an end to the biting very quickly.

I actually used a Pet Corrector - it's canned air and you can get them at Petco for like $14... its louder than your normal canned air that you spray your keyboards with... it is specifically used for pet correction. Sophie knows and associates the Pet Corrector- there are times she will be pulling her leash- and all I have to do is pull it out- and she stops doing whatever she was doing immediately. I did not want to associate using loud voices and yelling as a correction process... as my husband will play with the kids and they get loud- or if I have to yell at my girls for something- I didn't want her to go heading for the hills... it was quick and it only took a couple times for the association of Leave it... No Biting... etc....

litlsuga007

Aug 7, 2010
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
LuLu
I posted on Facebook, but then realized that you may not read that... This is what I said

"
We curved ours biting by changing the subject like making her sit and then tell her good girl as they like to please you...also got a toy instead of hand or taught her gentle."

183.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online