My Little Experiment with Tear Stains...... and Desitin.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I figured Mandy would be the perfect one to do this little experiment on, since she is all white.

We live in Arizona, and we have no grass. I find this to be a problem simply because even tho most of my bullies do not have wrinkle issues anymore due to being on a good food, a couple of them, like Mandy & Jesse for example, love to get dirty. So their tear stains are mostly the result of dirt- and also Mandy in particular absolutely HATES WATER IN HER FACE. So I cannot really give her face a good cleaning during bathtime, I am lucky if I can get the top of her head and her cheeks. So it is important that I wipe her face daily.

So here is what I did.

Everyday: Facial wipe down, as normal.

Every other day: On her right side, I applied a mixture of cornstarch with hydrogen peroxide. It becomes a very weird pastey liquid. Seems like it would be solid, but melts to the touch. Let sit for 30 minutes until it was dry, used a paper towel on the area to be sure it was dry completely. Then I applied desitin.

I have been doing this for.... hmm.... I would say almost two weeks. I have done 5 or 6 applications on her right side. As you can clearly see by the photos, her right side is much better than her left side!

So now that she looks all funny I decided that was enough for me, and it is time for me to post my results of my little experiment so I can get to work on her left side! LOL

Also, I have been using this same forumla on Jesse, who has a 'leaky' right eye, and only one tear stain. She looks a million times better! I have also switched her food to Fromm grain free surf and turf, which she loves!

Molly & Jesse have no stains, but Tidus has been having an issue ever since he got that eye ulcer and I switched foods--- so I am now putting him on Fromm as well, hoping that will get him all better. He has sooo many face and neck wrinkles tho- he may always be a challenge.

Here are Mandy's pics!

IMG_2668.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wonderful, Mandy looks really great! Desitin - good for babies and canines! ;)

Kristin & Sophie

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie So-lo
I tried using that for sophie when she was a puppy... the desitin just would make her so upset--- I think it actually was irritating and burning her skin.... as when I would use something like neosporin when the wrinkles would get red and irritated she never bothered with it. I did make a couple of food changes and that worked wonders! As something in her food she was allergic to causing the stains. Before making the final switch however---- I used Angel Eyes- sprinkled it on her food 1 time a day, for like 3 weeks then cut it down to 3 times a week for a certain time... that took away all her tear stains... took away the water stains from around her mouth- so anytime her allergies kick in- and her eyes start tearing- and staining... I just resort back to angel eyes... it totally beat having to fight her to wipe them out, put the mixture on without getting it in her eyes, then wiping it all off and putting desitin or an ointment in the folds. Made my life a lot easier! And sophie's too--- she doesn't run and hide when I pull out wipes now! LOL

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Awesome!! Ive been looking for something to clear upp Faithy's tear stains. One side is white with tear stains that just seem to be getting worst no matter how many times I clean. && he other side is brindle && perfectly fine. Im deff ganna try this. Where can you find desition?? Pets mart? Walmart? Thanksss! :D!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.