Humping and Peeing...Related? When do we nueter?

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, I am just about worn out with this guy and he is only 13 weeks old. He seems to be choosing to pee inside, because he lets us know when he wants to pee outside. He has also started humping a pillow rolled up in a bag that we gave him when we first got him. He has always loved chewing and chasing it but recently he has started humping it every time he plays with it. Could this be connected to the peeing inside? Just this morning he peed and pooped outside, then we played for a bit before I put him in his playpen. Started working and in less than 5 min he started peeing while just standing in his pen.

I spend almost 24 hours a day with him for the last 3 weeks, constantly taking him outside whether he wants to or not, and have been very consistent. He is starting to ignore when we call him, and actually walk the other way sometimes, as well as peeing in the house more. Is this some kind of rebellion or something? I could see it if we left him alone 8-10 hours per day but that isn't the case.

Is it time to neuter him already? I didn't think I would have these issues until 9-12 months. :cursing:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
[MENTION=3909]bigfwt04[/MENTION] I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think the two activities are related at this age.

He sounds young to be humping... I didn't get any humping till 6-7 months, and that is when we nuetured, which stopped the behavior. I've heard so many theories of when you should nuetur BDs, and I really don't know which is right, younger or older, but here is a humping article desertskybulldogs recently posted that you may find helpful http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...g-dog-great-article-those-thumpers-house.html

H

heff101

Ah yes the joys of getting a puppy!
Just stick with it be firm it will get better.
We would take Heff outside to a specific spot then give him a treat when he "went". Of course he soon caught onto that then would do a pretend pee! They are allot smarter then you think.
Re the humping....sometimes dogs mimic what they see!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well the joys of puppy hood can be tiring sometimes, just stick with it. I did notice you said he went outside and peed and came back in and played, then peed in his crate. The big clue here is.... he played. Any time they finish playing take them out immediately for them to pee. Especially at that age. It will get better, just be patient. As far as the humping goes, it's just a dog thing, take the toy away from him that he likes to hump. I would not neuter him until he is at least a year old. I like to wait until about 18 months myself, but there is a lot of different ideas on when to do this. Everyone has a theory and story about this but who knows who's right. But would not do it now, he is way to young. Don't give up, just be patient, the puppy years will pass and you will miss them. He will get better as time goes on.

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Yes got to stay on it and him...it's a never ending cycle...I wake take Jax out (6months old)
feed him/give water-back out
he comes in plays a little-back out....
Drinks some more water-wait 10-15 mins.- BACK OUT....

I swear before leaving for work I must take him out to do potty like 10-15 times lol

I wish I had a yard...I'm gonna have legs of steel walking up n down my stairs....!!!!

But it is a work in progress...lots of accidents but got to do it!!!! Hang in there! I know it's tiring/and lots of work! 😊🐶

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm sorry you are going through this....but like everyone said, be patient. It will pass with time and continued consistency. Dogs operate on instinct - so know he's not purposefully peeing to be rebellious.

Teaching a rock solid "come" is a process too. If you use a long lead and you are making the coming toward you the MOST FUN THING HE CAN DO - he will establish the behavior (get in the habit) of coming to you when called. That takes time too. When you use a long lead to train this, he doesn't have the option of going elsewhere (because you are backing up, gently pulling him to you while calling him excitedly and rewarding him when he does come to you). Bo just turned one in December. The last few days the snow has held a more charming allure than coming to me has been. He doesn't want to come in. He'd MUCH rather play in the snow. For that reason, I am very careful how/when I call him to me. I don't want him to realize it's a choice he has. Likewise, when I am approaching him to grab his collar (because I don't think I can get him to come) he's rewarded with praise. Chasing a dog who won't come to you - and being pissed while you do it - won't train him and will, in fact, do quite the opposite. Watch your energy! Good luck and keep us posted. You aren't the first person to deal with any of this and you won't be the last. Your breakthrough could help someone else!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've been given great advice -- timing is the big ticket with potty, always take them out 15/20 mins after eating, right after playing and just upon waking up. They are all definite potty times

As with neutering --- as others have said timing is debatable, but never younger than 6 months old.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i have a male that is doing the same thing...when i rescued him he humped every dog in our house.. i let them put him in his place but had to correct him of doing it to people... that has been ok until and new person comes around and he has to hump them.. I researched some and seems to make sense with my dozer.. the humping in a young dog isnt always a male issue.. they do this in play.. even air humping.. my dozer is very active and loves to play.. he will chose playtime over diner time... i walk him to burn out some energy and we are coping better.. the peeing is better to after a few NO's he will still pee in his kennel and im thinking its his way of saying its his place... he's still young.. im dealing with his issues and wont give up.. he makes me smile alot and its all worth my work.

mistshadow

Dec 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Athena and Ty
Just want to let you know I can empathize with you. Our little Athena is 12 weeks old and the potty training is so frustrating at times. I swear she will give me more gray haris than my kids.

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I don't get my male bulldog pup until Friday, but I can tell you I have a 7 month old female puggle and she loves to hump. She won't do it to me because when she try's I yell no pretty loud. She does hump my girl friend though haha, my girl friend does not discipline well. We had a similar problem with our puggle peeing. She was doing really well then for about 2 weeks she was making me crazy. I just went back to watching her as closely as I could. Both my girlfriend and I work full time and not a set schedule so training is difficult at times. On that note I can't wait to pick up my bulldog pup on Friday. Good luck to you

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I would guess that he is going through early teenage hood.LOL!!!! because he can. at this age he may not have great control of his pee! one of my first female didn't have good control till about a year. But in case, there is something wrong, check for a bladder infection. ONE thing I always do ,when they pee outside, IS get very animated,, make funny sounds,clap my hands, hop up and down a bit, act like a fool, but but clap, and instantly say pee------,and say it again, while clapping, they get it right away!!!!!I did good!!and top it off with a kids ,un frosted, childrens circus cookie,(small enough for 2 ) remember to add just a small amount of broth to daily water to make sure they drink lots. Bulldogs never drink enough. and any extra veggies ,and fruit ,help keep the urine diluted ,to guard against stones!!! and the humping is a control issue in this case, I realize the pillow might be sexy to him, but also it can be a control issue too, not to worry. I would definitely
get him fixed by 6 months or 5 .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online