Blue Buffalo

mimapr

Jan 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gio
I started 3 weeks ago to feed my Gio Blue Buffalo Puppy Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe, and his stool is very soft and sometimes diarea. I took him to the vet and said to give it sometime, but I have been reading in this forum that chicken is not good for the bulldogs. What would you guys recommend me? Change the food? What food? How to make the transition for the new food if I am to change it? Thank you!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Try the Lamb and Oatmeal. That's what I fed Wilson up to 4 months. He did really well on it. You wouldn't need to transition either. I'm getting a new puppy again in a couple of week and I'll be feeding Fromm. I do plan on transition Wilson to Fromm when the new puppy is ready for adult food. Lots of bullies as you read have issues with Chicken. I had Wilson allergy tested and he's on the high side of allergic to Chicken.

Here's a good link to read too on food ratings. http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

You can try adding some pumpkin to Gio's diet, that help stiffen the stools. Plus it's really good for them. Good luck and keep us posted!

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
I have done Blue Buffalo and mine were fine on it. I recently changed to Fromm since I understand it is 'better' but it is very expensive. I would continue to give the blue buffalo a try since its only been 3 weeks. You can switch over slowly to a non-chicken recipe from blue buffalo, just mix it slowly over about a week or two. One of my bulldogs, who is 2.5yrs old has rarely ever had a good solid stool, unfortuneatley he has a chronic gastric issue that will be with him for life. One of the downsides to Blue Buffalo i have read is its lower on the protien than what is ideal, so I added meat occasionally. I also add a squirt of Olive Oil to their food every meal and throw in other stuff like a good quality canned food; sometimes pumkin (fibre & antioxidents), yogurt (digesitive aid). Good luck.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If you generally like the Blue Buffalo then I would maybe try a different flavor within that range. One that doesn't include chicken. If you are staying within the same range you shouldn't need to transition.

If you still have problems after a few weeks on a different flavor then you may need to try a different food!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know Jake is very sensitive to chicken. I would follow Jeannie's advice and try one of their other flavors, that doesn't have chicken in it. It's great because you don't have to transition and might be an easy fix. If you do that, give it a month to settle down and we all have problems finding the right food. These guys are all different.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Nature's Variety Instinct here. I used to give Blue Buffalo....the ONLY reason why I switched is b/c I think Bruin has a grain allergy and there aren't any grains or potatoes in Nature's Variety Instinct. I would suggest to give him time and like JeannieCO said try the pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not the pie filling) A little while ago Bruin was having issues with pooping and someone gave me an idea to put the pumpkin in an ice cube tray, put it in the freezer and give as a treat. Worked like a charm! I love EBN

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
The growth hormones that are fed to chickens and turkeys can cause the runs. I can't give Pepper any at all as she will have the trots minutes afterward

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Maybe you are simply over feeding him...
Try cutting back a 1/2 cup a day and see if his stool hardens.....

OP
M

mimapr

Jan 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gio
Yes he was tested for parasite and came out negative. Today he changed from soft stool to diarea. I think I am going to get the lamb version. For this afternoon dont know if I should give him ground beef and rice to stop it. any advice?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Get canned pumpkin..NOT the pie filling, but straight pumpkin in a can. Give a tablespoon in his food. You will see a difference right away, but change his food right away too. You can do the ground beef and rice and add the pumpkin for a few days. Settle his tummy down, then add new food to mixture..like half and half for a day or to. Pumpkin works wonders!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4082]mimapr[/MENTION] i agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION].... do the beef/rice with a little pumpkin then bring in the new food after a couple days when his belly is settled down

mickeedz

Dec 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax
My Jax is also on Blue Buffalo. He eats the Lamb and Oatmeal version. When I switched him from the food the breeder was giving him he did have about a week of loose stool and even downright watery diarrhea. However, I was told to mix in chicken and rice and his stool became normal pretty quickly, like over a few days to a week. He now eats a mixture of Blue Buffalo kibble, chicken, and cottage cheese and is doing great. Actually, he is doing so great that he scarfs it up in a minute.

My question to all of you - he is 3 months old and we are feeding him three times a day (we were told to do until 16 weeks). He still seems hungry after every meal. We are feeding him about a cup of kibble with a little chicken and one teaspoon of cottage cheese in the morning and night and about 3/4 cup of kibble with chicken and cottage cheese at lunchtime. Should we keep feeding him that or increase his food amount? The bag says that we should be feeding him only 1-1/4 cup a day for his weight, which is 16 pounds right now. We don't want him to become obese, but we also don't want to deny food to a growing puppy if that is what he should have.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My Jax is also on Blue Buffalo. He eats the Lamb and Oatmeal version. When I switched him from the food the breeder was giving him he did have about a week of loose stool and even downright watery diarrhea. However, I was told to mix in chicken and rice and his stool became normal pretty quickly, like over a few days to a week. He now eats a mixture of Blue Buffalo kibble, chicken, and cottage cheese and is doing great. Actually, he is doing so great that he scarfs it up in a minute.

My question to all of you - he is 3 months old and we are feeding him three times a day (we were told to do until 16 weeks). He still seems hungry after every meal. We are feeding him about a cup of kibble with a little chicken and one teaspoon of cottage cheese in the morning and night and about 3/4 cup of kibble with chicken and cottage cheese at lunchtime. Should we keep feeding him that or increase his food amount? The bag says that we should be feeding him only 1-1/4 cup a day for his weight, which is 16 pounds right now. We don't want him to become obese, but we also don't want to deny food to a growing puppy if that is what he should have.

I'm answering but not sure of how much help I can be as we don't feed Blue Buffalo .. we are on the Fromm. Linus started on the Fromm puppy and we transitioned him on to the Fromm 4* range because thats what my two other bullies are on. Plus Fromm 4* is an all-life stages food suitable for all ages. However, because he's a puppy we give him more than the recommended doseage ... just a little over. He's on one heaped cup of Fromm twice a day with the usual variety of toppings - cottage cheese, pumpkin and yogurt with frozen veggie treats during the day.

I am not too knowledgeable of the Blue Buffalo range ... is the food you are feeding him made for puppies or is it an all life stages like the Fromm we are using??

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I'll add my 2 cents in also. Whenever we have a litter of puppies I wean them to nutro max puppy which isn't the top of the line in dog foods. I tried all of the good ones Wellness, Buffalo, Inova when weaning them but they always get the runs. I tell the puppy buyers to keep them on it until they are 6-8 months old and then slowly swithch to one of the better ones. By then their stomach's can handle it. I'm telling you Nutro puppy works like a charm. Swithch slowly though. Good luck
Roanne

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.