Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Buffalo

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jax
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Blue Buffalo

My Jax is also on Blue Buffalo. He eats the Lamb and Oatmeal version. When I switched him from the food the breeder was giving him he did have about a week of loose stool and even downright watery diarrhea. However, I was told to mix in chicken and rice and his stool became normal pretty quickly, like over a few days to a week. He now eats a mixture of Blue Buffalo kibble, chicken, and cottage cheese and is doing great. Actually, he is doing so great that he scarfs it up in a minute.

My question to all of you - he is 3 months old and we are feeding him three times a day (we were told to do until 16 weeks). He still seems hungry after every meal. We are feeding him about a cup of kibble with a little chicken and one teaspoon of cottage cheese in the morning and night and about 3/4 cup of kibble with chicken and cottage cheese at lunchtime. Should we keep feeding him that or increase his food amount? The bag says that we should be feeding him only 1-1/4 cup a day for his weight, which is 16 pounds right now. We don't want him to become obese, but we also don't want to deny food to a growing puppy if that is what he should have.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mickeedz View Post
    My Jax is also on Blue Buffalo. He eats the Lamb and Oatmeal version. When I switched him from the food the breeder was giving him he did have about a week of loose stool and even downright watery diarrhea. However, I was told to mix in chicken and rice and his stool became normal pretty quickly, like over a few days to a week. He now eats a mixture of Blue Buffalo kibble, chicken, and cottage cheese and is doing great. Actually, he is doing so great that he scarfs it up in a minute.

My question to all of you - he is 3 months old and we are feeding him three times a day (we were told to do until 16 weeks). He still seems hungry after every meal. We are feeding him about a cup of kibble with a little chicken and one teaspoon of cottage cheese in the morning and night and about 3/4 cup of kibble with chicken and cottage cheese at lunchtime. Should we keep feeding him that or increase his food amount? The bag says that we should be feeding him only 1-1/4 cup a day for his weight, which is 16 pounds right now. We don't want him to become obese, but we also don't want to deny food to a growing puppy if that is what he should have.
    I'm answering but not sure of how much help I can be as we don't feed Blue Buffalo .. we are on the Fromm. Linus started on the Fromm puppy and we transitioned him on to the Fromm 4* range because thats what my two other bullies are on. Plus Fromm 4* is an all-life stages food suitable for all ages. However, because he's a puppy we give him more than the recommended doseage ... just a little over. He's on one heaped cup of Fromm twice a day with the usual variety of toppings - cottage cheese, pumpkin and yogurt with frozen veggie treats during the day.

I am not too knowledgeable of the Blue Buffalo range ... is the food you are feeding him made for puppies or is it an all life stages like the Fromm we are using??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby, Pebble and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I'll add my 2 cents in also. Whenever we have a litter of puppies I wean them to nutro max puppy which isn't the top of the line in dog foods. I tried all of the good ones Wellness, Buffalo, Inova when weaning them but they always get the runs. I tell the puppy buyers to keep them on it until they are 6-8 months old and then slowly swithch to one of the better ones. By then their stomach's can handle it. I'm telling you Nutro puppy works like a charm. Swithch slowly though. Good luck
    Roanne

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tipsy
    Likes (Received)

So here is my experience. I recently switched Tipsy from Blue Buffalo to Natures Balance Alpha. She was way too gassy and her stool would be sometimes, sorry for this, runny. After being on NB Alpha for the past month, she is eating more, gas is way less and poop is firm. Just my experience.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby, Pebble and Stella
    Likes (Received)

We all know with Bulldogs you have to play around till you get it right! LOL

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gio
    Likes (Received)

Well Gio is much better, diarrea gone! Still on the ground beef and rice. Today buying him new food. Going to a holistic dog store and see what she suggests. Thanks

Bulldog(s) Names
    Buzz & Casper
    Likes (Received)

I had my puppy on Blue Buffalo as well because that was what the breeder was feeding him and he had soft stowls and diareha as well. I switched to Taste of the Wild, High Prarie and he has been doing great ever since.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Bentley was also switched over from Royal Canin to science diet then BB. His stool was def harder on the first two. I think my next shot will be to try Orijen....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads