Crating my bulldog question

Delilahsmomma

Jan 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
So Delilah is 15 wks and has been with us almost a week. We have been crate training her and she is doing awsome. Hardly whines in there, sleeps long stretchs at night. Its been great. My question is, should I give her "rest time" in it through out the day? I have 2 little girls who love her to death, plus she is always on the go chasing a kitty around here...I feel like she might need some "down" time. Is this a good idea? She gives me that sweet bully face and makes me feel guilty.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
What a cutie pie! Wilson has been crated since 8 weeks of age. He loves it. He's not crated any longer at night since about 6 months of age but during the day is his when we're at work. I have a very large dual crate that both my boys go into (Jack's another breed and turned 1 in Dec.). Wilson (and Jack) always go in there when they want to rest. It's quite common for Wilson to go take his naps there. If she needs some down time by all means put her in, give her a kiss, and let her get some rest. Always always make the crate a good thing for them and it'll be your best friend. All I have to say is "kennel" and off both boys go into their OWN side. :)

:welcome: to EBN too. Just jump right on in and make yourself at home! :up:

OP
Delilahsmomma

Delilahsmomma

Jan 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Well her crate is up in my room, so my guess is she wouldnt go up there looking for it...but thanks for the info! I guess giving her little naps in it probably isnt hurting anything.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes definitely give her naps in it, we leave the doors open when owrs are not in them and they will go in on their own. But when you want her to take a nap, which she should get several a day since she is still a pup, put her in there and close the door.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Welcome and Delilah is such a cutie! I love her face! :luv: When Frank was a puppy, we would stick him in his crate after each play session so he could nap. Otherwise, he would just fight sleep and would not rest. I think it is definitely good to give puppies some "down time"!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I have an 8 month old mastiff puppy also and at that age they should be crated at night and after each meal time for an hour or so. It is good for them since they are still babies and need their rest just like human babies do (-: . Good luck with Delilah. She is a cutie pie and sounds like she is going to have a great home.
Roanne

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I would get another crate for downstairs, leave it open and she will go in it when she needs "privacy". Let you kids know that when she is in there to let her rest. Mocha goes in hers when she wants to be alone!! We call it her apartment! She sleeps with me in bed at nite.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Deliah is a cutie.... as others have said, keep the crate door open and she will go in when needing alone time. Also, tell the skin-kids to leave her be when she is in her crate -- let it be her save zone from the world, per say.

Members online

No members online now.