My bullie ha problems walking, help!!!

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Ok so Chucky is 8 moths old now and for the last days he seems to have problems walking with his front foot, I thought he had hurt himself playing around but it has pass like a week already and he still walks with his foot like it hurts him, I mean he still plays like crazy all day but his foot is not ok, what could it be ?should I just wait hoping that he gets better or it can be something serious that has nothig to be with him getting hurt playing around!![/FONT]

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I guess if it were me I would keep him quiet for a few days because he could have sprained it. If it doesn't get better in a few days I would make a trip to the vet. Use only a leash to walk him and not rough housing for a few days. If he is crying and in pain I would go immediately to the vet. Good luck with him!
Roanne

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Poor baby!! I think if it has been a week, you should see a vet. Just to make sure all is ok. I know that times are hard economically, but it is best to have him check now.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If you have seen NO improvement in a week, and you've attempted to keep him quiet then it is probably time to take him to the vet just to get it checked out.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jorge..I am sorry to hear Chunky is hurting! I agree with the above advice. If you haven't kept him quiet and not allowed playing,etc, I suppose you could try that for a few days. But if he is in obvious distress,like crying out, etc..please take him to his vet. Good Luck!

OP
Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
Thanks guys, about pain it seems like he feels no pain he never cry an he still plays around like always, I try to keep him calm so he can get better but he is just 8 moths and at this age they are so playfull that their no way to keep them calm. He runs plays and everything like always but when he starts to walk he just doesn't walk normal :(

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Have you checked between his toes for any foreign objects? Or maybe check for interdigital cysts between the toes. Has he been licking that paw?

OP
Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
Yes I have check the paws and he has nothing, he doesn't leak his paw either, he plays like a regular puppy he acts like nothing happens but it's really clear that he walks with his front foot different, is like he has no power on his foot like he does on the other one, everything is ok with him but he just don't walk like he use to to walk is like he hurt himself playing but time has pass and he walks like that, well if he hurt himself playing I don't know how to maintain him calm so he can get better because all he does is eat sleep and play and he plays so agresive that there is no way his foot is going to get better if he doesnt calm down for a while.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jorge..do you till have a crate for him? How I would keep him calm is letting him be in his crate most of the time, except for potty and feeding. You do this for a few days and see if he is better. He will be forced to be calm. I know it's not easy but sometimes raising these guys is HARD!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Yes, he needs to be crated. If you don't do it , it could get worse and then he won't be able to walk at all. Believe me I know how hard it is to keep a puppy calm. Give him lots of toys to play with in the crate. Hope your baby feels better.
Roanne

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba has done this a few times. Limps when he is jogging...never slowed him down or stopped him from acting like a wild banshee! I think he probably sprained something or caught his toenail on something. I'm not saying that's what happened to ur guy but Bubba has demonstrated the same thing before. I couldn't imagine keeping him in a crate and quiet for a few days...but it prob would have been better.

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
Is he just walking funny or limping (not wanting to put weight on it) ? I have read that 'any sudden limping of a dog is most likely a torn CCL (like our ACL)). Apparently bulldogs are prone to this. Many vets will suggest a $3000 surgery (called TPLO); Its are VERY lucrative surgery that othopedic vets are making a fortune on. The best approach is to take to the vet just to get a diagnosis; but if the vet mentions he has a torn CCL and brings up the TPLO surgery; RUN do not walk out of there... wait 8 weeks minimum to allow it to heal itself. Hopefully its just a sprain...

OP
Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge Rodriguez

Jul 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
chucky
Yeah he walks like he don't want to put weight on it , something that has called my attention is that when he wakes up and starts walking is worst, when he starts runing and jumping is like nothing is wrong but as I said before when he starts to walk normally his foots seems like it has no power on it, is like it hurts him but he doesn't cry it entering he acts like everything is normal but he doesnt walk normal

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do you give him any type of joint supplements? If not, try that for a few days to a week and see if there is any improvement

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ok so Chucky is 8 moths old now and for the last days he seems to have problems walking with his front foot, I thought he had hurt himself playing around but it has pass like a week already and he still walks with his foot like it hurts him, I mean he still plays like crazy all day but his foot is not ok, what could it be ?should I just wait hoping that he gets better or it can be something serious that has nothig to be with him getting hurt playing around!!

Hi [MENTION=2887]Jorge Rodriguez[/MENTION] I haven't talked to you in a while. Sorry to hear Chucky is limping. Dolly had a bad limp this summer and the vet told me she needed a knee brace, I checked out different knee braces and decided to double up the dosage I was giving her, Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements. They worked, she does not limp anymore, it takes a couple of weeks to work. You can find them at Walmart in the vitamin section. I use triple strength joint support. I give her 2 pills after her dinner everyday. They are 1700 mg for the 2 of them. I dip them in butter and she swallows them whole. Don't let him jump off of furniture if you can help it, or jump off of beds. Help him down. Bulldog joints are big and sometimes this comes with problems, like limping.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online