Eye stain/tear stain

Jzepeda87

Apr 22, 2011
Berwyn,il
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky, Rocks,Papa, Charlie lol i dont know y
Help...! I know that tear stains are common and happen a lot with the white faces but it's really driving me crazy...this is my biggest pet peeve with dogs...eye boogers/crusties and eye tears/stains...

Any suggestions...? Products I can use to help with this or at least keep to a minimum...maybe it's not that bad and I'm just going crazy...

He eats Origen puppy for now and innova wet puppy food because he is soooooo skinny/under weight...

Please help or just tell me I'm crazy...
O yes I'm currently using earth bath eye wipes but I think they are making his eye swollen/irritated....

Here are some pictures... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326249895.586575.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326250019.619100.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1326250133.524449.jpg

Excuse my mess in the background...laundry day! 😊

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
From the pics they don't look sore so it's just tear stains. I feed an excellent food to my Maggie .. the Fromm 4* range, and in that range you can switch around the flavours without having to do any kind of slow introduction. Well, they have two grain-free flavours and I have discovered a quite big difference in tear stains when I try Maggie on a flavour that is NOT grain free. I guess, if I want her to have a perfect white face I need to stick with the grain free from now on.

So it could very possibly be food related. If not the type of protein of the food, then it could be the brand of food itself.

But right now I know that your main focus is getting his weight up and making him stronger. So if its' just tear stains then maybe just try a different flavour ... what flavour are you giving him right now.

As far as cleaning is concerned .... we use the sensitive skin baby wipes, and then use cotton wool ball to dry the area ... that's for wrinkles and tail pocket. Others totally swear by witch hazel, which I may try because it is self-drying, and I find myself getting anxious that I haven't dried enough when I do the wrinkles. Maybe using witch hazel would take away that worry!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
He doesn't look that bad to me other than extreme cuteness!! Try Witch Hazel... any drug store will have it next to the alcohol.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you do a search here "tear stains", you'll stop reading posts sometime in 2017. I hate them too and used to obsess about getting rid of them. At this point, if I have solid poops and no hives around here, I'm ok with a minimal bit of tear stains. I wipe faces (and ears) daily with a soft washcloth that's been dipped in a solution of slightly soapy warm water using a bit of dog shampoo that's antibacterial / antifungal. (Not too much because I don't rinse afterwards - this is my own version of a "wipie"). It's helped a bit and has done miracles for Bea's bulldog acne. I no longer use the stridex pads on her for this. Don't have to!

Good luck. Tear Stains are my arch nemesis. If I ever figure out a rock solid, drug free cure, I'll be posting it here at EBN!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Witch hazel on a cotton pad.... works great

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I switched mine to Blue Buffalo basic.....potato and fish which only has the 2 ingredients:D. Chicken has ALWAYS caused my girls to get tear stains teribble...It is usually the food. I wipe mine with a wet cotton ball and then dry also with cotton ball. I then put desitin overnight brand which is thicker. Good luck!
Roanne

Members online

No members online now.