Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you had the resources would you clone your bully?

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: If you had the resources would you clone your bully?

Quote Originally Posted by Telly03 View Post
    I wouldn't either, well for the reason of trying to bring Moe back, because I know that his personality is unique.
    Cloning is not for "bringing a dog back". Bringing a dog back would be to resurrect him from the dead. Cloning is nothing more than just a different process of creating another unique dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Telly03 View Post
    I do see a possible application for this though... what if cloning became very affordable? I know it is a common worry about the health issues associated with irresponsible breeding... what if you could get an affordable cloned Bully from a proven genetically healthy Bully? Would that change your mind about cloning?
    This is interesting. Of course, there is no guarantee that a clone will be as healthy as the cell donor. But you do have a higher chance of it being so. When done responsibly, I would think it might be genetically superior than line bred dogs. Currently, we bring about a desired trait using genetic selection through line breeding but because it combines two gene strands, the good is magnified with the bad. A clone wouldn't have that issue. Hmmm.... Of course, cloning is not very well explored in science due to current regulations surrounding it. There might be other "side effects" that we don't know about.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-11-2012 at 08:12 PM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member wautersa's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alyssa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chelsea & Chuy
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

My first response would be yes... since Chelsea could finally have her perfect playmate match.

But the best thing about each dog is how special and unique they are. And it is pretty sick to raise a puppy expecting them to be just like a different one. Each one should be appreciated and loved for being them.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

There is a show on TLC right now called "I Cloned My Pet". There is a man talking about getting his deceased dog cloned because he misses her. I may have to watch this!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tipsy
    Likes (Received)

I wouldn't, as much as I would miss her, there could be only one Tipsy! I did ask her just now and I got the "hell no" face...then again she always give me that face...lol

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Hell No! Hasn't anyone seen the movie Multiplicity? Sheesh!

Seriously though....I agree with cloning being a genetic match only. I love my babies more than anything in the world. But I loved Choctaw before them, and Drakkar before Choctaw. I'm looking forward to meeting my future babies after Vegas and Orion pass on. I agree, cloning a beloved pet will only satisfy one thing...your heart will be comforted by the looks of the pet. But the personality will be completely different. So, what do you miss more in a deceased pet? The way they looked or the way they acted? I bet you say...the way they acted. The way they loved. The way they looked at you when you said their name. The way they loved a certain stuffed animal. The way they loved to hang their head out the car window.
    All the stuff you loved cannot be duplicated, unless it's the color of his fur and the swirls on his butt.

I believe it would lead to disappointment for that person seeking to bring a certain pet "back".

I would love to have another Vegas minus the epilepsy.
    I would love to have another Orion minus the attitude.
    Cloning could possibly do that for me.
    But, I'd want my new Vegas to still snuggle me the way this Vegas does.
    I'd want my new Orion to talk to me the way this Orion does.
    Cloning would NOT do that for me.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

I think as far as personality goes no it will not be the same , however if you take a clone and assume the same genetic traits are expressed as the original you may end up with a very similar personality. The nature vs. nurture debate has never been settled, but if the clone were raised in the same environment in the same family as the original a lot of the learning experiences would be the same. The major variables would be in utero experiences and early life experiences i.e. with litter mates and mother.Idk I'm curious to see how different they may or may not be.
    Doesn't matter my heart says this if it were an option for me, I would do it. I realize I wouldn't be getting the same dog back but in some ways I would. It would be enough for me. I read a lot of comments about loving a new, different dog and forming a new bond. I Know in my heart as bad as it may sound , that I will never be able to have what I had with Dozer with a different dog. He has been gone four very long months now and at least 2 days a week I cry my eyes out because I still miss him so badly. That doesn't mean I don't or couldn't love a different dog it just won't ever be the same or as deep is it was with him. I lost a very large piece of my heart and self when he passed away. I suppose the argument could then be applied that a clone would not fill that void either, but I think in some ways it would. The physical characteristics the puppy would have would help a tremendous amount. The heart is capable of tricking the mind and I imagine the same feelings would start to arise as with the previous dog, just like muscle memory it would be emotional memory.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@dozersmama

I'm so sad that your heartache is still so intense. I imagine for me it would be also. Who knows where cloning will be in the next few decades. Oh...can you imagine?

Picture this. Cloning Orion. Then cloning the clone of Orion. Then cloning the clone of the clone of Orion. Who has seen multiplicity? This could be a scary thing!

Never make a copy of a copy. Sorry...I know this is skewing the original topic but I can't help myself.

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jen
    Bulldog(s) Names
    ???
    Likes (Received)

@Libra926 , I will be the first to tell you that I would be the idiot who would make a clone of the clone and so on and so forth. If it worked out well the first time then why the heck not right? Ok maybe not so much.
    If tears could build a staircase and happy memories a lane, I could walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again!

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

I definitely wouldn't. I couldn't/wouldn't want to take away from their memory. A new puppy may look like them, it just isn't the same. You can't recreate that little soul that resided in that body. Four years ago when I lost my yorkie lulu I was devastated. I don't think cloning her would have been a way to honor her or the memories we made together. That being said, I did get another pup from a later litter from the same parents. To each their own, but I don't think I could do it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads