Bulldogs and belly rubs???

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I tried positioning my dogs like a human baby like you said, but they act so tortured I feel bad for them! they like if I rub it as long as they don't feel their back against anything.. too funny...
reading the posts, I noticed they're not the only ones though; maybe it's a learned behavior for some.. just gotta keep on trying.. they love their heads and butts scratched and rubbed though.. funny little creatures :S

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] - I know what you mean. Bea wasn't a huge fan either. I learned this trust exercise in a puppy class that me and Bea attended at a fancy schmancy training place called Puppy Manners out in Woodinville, WA. The owners, Dave and Becky, were amazing people.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I am looking into finding a good training place for my doggies :)

Folks around here have given their local PetSmart rave reviews for training classes. Having a class with each dog individually, will be a good bonding experience for you and each pup too. I'd plan them on different days - not in a row - so you have a "clean slate" (energy wise) for each pup.

I'm tellin' ya [MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION], if you lived closer, I'd be over in your neighborhood, trying to swipe Aldo. Those green eyes! I don't need another dog, but if one of these pups became magically within my reach, I'd have to reconsider!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
HRH has learned to accept belly rubs, but she didn't act like she had ever had one when we got her. We have to physically flip her over for one and for Bruce she will lay and fall asleep while he rubs her belly. For me she doesn't want to stay so long and usually struggles to get back over fairly quick, but I think it's because she prefers my butt scratches.

Princess' don't let just anyone rub their belly..... just saying... :p

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke LOVED belly, back, butt, head, ANYTHING rubbed - he was a very affection human loving bully. Banks, <sigh> yeah, not at all, she is totally the opposite. even when we get in from work, she will not let either of us touch her till she smells both our hands and then she is all about a back rub to say hi... she will let us give belly rubs, but she'd rather not.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I just signed up Katara for training! We stet on the 21st. Aldo will do the next session :) I am excited! Thank you for your compliments on Aldo. He has a cery sweet face :)

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Aldo has to smell my hands too before he will come to me too..

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullie doesn't like anything else but a Butt Rub. If we rub behind her ears, she would walk forward until her butt is under our hands. If we put her on her back and rub her belly she'll flip right over and put her butt under our hands... yep, that's it for her. Butt Rub.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All three of mine seem to like the belly rubs but if they were actually asked to choose it would be a butt rub for all 3 of them EVERY time!!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie doesn't like anything else but a Butt Rub. If we rub behind her ears, she would walk forward until her butt is under our hands. If we put her on her back and rub her belly she'll flip right over and put her butt under our hands... yep, that's it for her. Butt Rub.

All three of mine seem to like the belly rubs but if they were actually asked to choose it would be a butt rub for all 3 of them EVERY time!!

That's funny! These two love a good butt rub too. Do you think it's because they cannot reach it themselves? :lmao:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Punkin loves belly rubs and would turn over when he's in a playful mood. He also loves sleeping on his back.

Stig not so much. At least we've never habitually turned him over so maybe he's not as trained as Punkin.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] i dunno i dont think its necessary for bullies to love belly rubs. if they do fine if they dont uh ok fine. the only reason i do sarah is because i used to have to check her for hives or redness when feeding and now when i have to do her paws for yeast and check lady parts. otherwise i wouldnt worry if she liked it or not. she loves her butt scratches and ear scratches so thats enough for me.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] I know it's not necessary, I just thought it was weird.. I had never heard of a domesticated dog not liking belly rubs.. All my other dogs would flip upon the mere site of me when I walked home for a rub.. this was totally different.. that is all.. I still love them :luv:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] as you will find out if you dont know bullies are not normal dogs :ROFL: they do it all different but in very lovable and adorable ways :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.