What do you think about leads?

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Sooo as many of you know ... I'm due to have my first skin-baby February 4th. I've been trying to think of things to make the transition easier for everyone, especially my "baby doggie", as I call him. I started to let Chunk tell me when he needs to go out sometimes. (Just to be sure he will tell me ... our life is so scheduled that I was afraid I might lose track of time and he won't know to tell me to go out!) My next thought is possibly putting a lead out back - which, btw, I hate leads. I think people tend not to watch their doggies and they can get hurt. However, not having a backyard, I have to walk Chunkmeister when he needs to go out. My thinking with the lead is that if I can't settle the baby and Chunk needs to go out, I have a back-up plan. The nice thing is, almost my whole back wall of my apt is sliding glass doors so I could see him the whole time (and know where I have to go pick up his :poo::poo:).

Not that I need to ASK for opinions ... but honest opinions please! And any other suggestions are welcome too! Just want to make sure both of my babies can be taken care of. :yes:

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
As long as there are no obstacles to hang himself on, leads are fine. We use one for Humphrey since he likes to go runabout a couple times a week. If we try to use one on Lily, she pouts and acts like we've beaten her. She wont go. I suggest getting the lightest lead you can find, polyester rope is good. The cabled ones can be very painful if the wrap them around your ankles (and they will).

My neighbor has a larger dog that has nearly hung himself 4 times with his lead. Twice over the fence and twice off the steps to her deck. Just keep a close eye on him.

Pris

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are in a townhouse which does not allow fencing -- so, same boat as you in an apartment. We used leads attached to our deck for the first year with Banks... to teach her boundaries. as long as you are watching him and as said in another post... not obstacles -- I see nothing wrong with it

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think it would be ok its not like he will be out there for a long time. just time for you to do what your doing with baby and him to go bathroom. so i say ok just make sure there is nothing around to get tangled in.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Or lock the baby in a drawer and take Chunky out!!!!.. :D:D:D:D:D

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone ... except [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]. His poor children. :LOL: I guess I just needed to feel that reassurance. I think you are right [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION] ... maybe we will even have a schedule before Daddy goes back to work (one can hope). Chunk is really good about going to the bathroom but I'd hate for him to have to wait if we are having a bad morning or something. There is really nothing out our back door at this point so no where to get hung up and Chunk truly prefers to be inside so I doubt he would even go out longer than to do his business.

THANKS GUYS! :hug::whew:

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
We are in the same boat. I don't have a fence either and well idk what's gonna happen when this baby comes. I am generally against the whole idea because I have know 2 dogs to be seriously injured due to being tied on leads. One of them was just left out so I understand but the other one had a very vigilant and caring mom who was outside with her dog. He saw a cat tried to go after it and ended up with a spinal injury due to the quick jerk and he was wearing a harness not a collar. You know Chunk better than anyone so if you think that he isn't going to have the urge to get to people/animals in the area then he may be safe, but remember dogs can surprise you. I think as long as it's a very quick in and out it is a viable option.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
does it take him a long time to go? I suggest getting a baby sling, I used a moby wrap carrier with both my girls. It calms babies a lot and they feel so secure next to momma. It also keeps them warm.. My babies loved it! If you have to take him out you can and have your newborn with you too! I think you will use it a lot anyways as the baby grows.. both my babies were fussy and the wrap helped a lot, plus I wasn't tied up next to were the baby was.. I just had her with me and I could go around the house easily.. check it out, as for the leads, I think it would be ok, I just wouldn't want chunk to sense a change and blame the baby for it, so if you are thinking about using it, I would get him used to the lead now before the baby comes! and congratulations!!!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]. That's exactly my concern! My other though was one of those leashes that gets longer (whatever they are called) then I can let him out the back door but stand with the leash and give him enough room to get to the grass. Chunk is pretty mellow and really NOTHING makes him run except to come back inside after he goes potty. But still. Last winter, I actually could let him out back and watch from the door and he would come back in no problem (he never went more than 20 feet from the door). However, there's a manhole of come sort that the cover went missing and my jerk complex hasn't gotten it replaced. They have a small piece of plywood covering it maybe 3/4 of the way. Some animal or child is going to end up getting hurt but I can't figure out who to report them to. Chunk hasn't shown any interest in it but I'm not taking chances. Plus last year I could go right out if he started to wander, not this year. Hope you are doing well, btw! I know you have are ready to have that baby; me too!!!

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]. No, he usually goes quick and comes right back in. :) he's sooo good. I do have a sling (I got it for free! My chiro had seen a coupon and saved it for me. :-D ). The problem is that I live in Jersey and it will (probably) be frigid. Don't want to have to wrap a newborn all up just to take Chunk out to pee, not to mention take the chance of him getting a chill. I agree that I need to get him used to whatever option I choose BEFORE little man comes home. Will make life easier on everyone. :)

;137284]does it take him a long time to go? I suggest getting a baby sling, I used a moby wrap carrier with both my girls. It calms babies a lot and they feel so secure next to momma. It also keeps them warm.. My babies loved it! If you have to take him out you can and have your newborn with you too! I think you will use it a lot anyways as the baby grows.. both my babies were fussy and the wrap helped a lot, plus I wasn't tied up next to were the baby was.. I just had her with me and I could go around the house easily.. check it out, as for the leads, I think it would be ok, I just wouldn't want chunk to sense a change and blame the baby for it, so if you are thinking about using it, I would get him used to the lead now before the baby comes! and congratulations!!![/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] OH I am so ready. I want her to stay in until next weekend only because my shower is Saturday but Idk if that is gonna happen.

The retractable leash is a good option. I forgot that this is your first baby. From experience I can tell you that it won't be as big a deal as you are thinking. The first week may be difficult. You,the baby and Chunk will find a nice routine that will work out so you can take him out. Babies, even in utero, have an established sleep / wake pattern. You three will figure it out , don't worry =)

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] I'm so excited for all these babies being born, you guys BETTER share some pictures with us!! :)

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] - you think she will come sooner??? You are due feb 3rd right? How exciting. Yes, he's my first and chunk is my first dog too! I wasn't too concerned until lately because chunk has shown SUCH an urgency to go out in the morning and I feel like that could get so overwhelming between him and the baby. Although, my husband may have to just start waking chunk and taking him out when he leaves for work at 5am so I don't have to worry. Plus he has had two accidents since he has been on steroids. :(

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] ... I'm sure we both will. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] I smacked [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] for ya for that drawer comment. ;)

He was such an abusive dad.....that's why his 32 year old son still lives at home......:busted:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Chunksmama I smacked @BruceP for ya for that drawer comment. ;) He was such an abusive dad.....that's why his 32 year old son still lives at home......:busted:

SWEET move Lari... nice 'Gibbs slap to the back of the head' !!!

[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] why is the Chunkster on steroids?

Members online

No members online now.