Big boy went for a swim today

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
I persuaded our big boy to go for a swim today (it's summer here in the southern hemisphere and quite hot).

Actually I just encouraged him to swim across a stream as I'm not quite sure how far he can swim (he's a bit top heavy and when a puppy sank like a stone on one occasion). However a few years ago he got swept off his feet when the stream was running higher than usual and although I jumped in right away I was pretty sure he was swimming.

Then another time he got so excited trying to get a lost ball the other side of the stream that he started swimming to it; so then I definitely knew he could swim!

Any other bullies go swimming without life jackets?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I have a bulldog who can swim... He has a very interesting stroke... He tucks his rear legs up into his abdomen, tips his head back just a bit, and then it's all front legs for power and steering. He can go quite a ways, so if we are around water I put him in a lifejacket to be safe b/c he thinks he can do anything.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2729]hoegaandit[/MENTION] please be sure to be right next to you bully when he is in the water. I would be very carefull. Sure there are some bullys that can swim but that would be the exeption and not the norm. Mocha loves the water in the summer!!! Loves to run in the lake!!, but she isnt swiming she is walking in and when she realizes that she has walked to far she panics!! Thats why we are right there next to her and she also has a life vest for dogs that she uses whenever we go to the lake.

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
@lucylicious - thanks for the new year greetings and same to you; I will post couple of pics on a separate thread in the photo section

[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - good to read you have a swimmer. Our boy is pretty sensible and won't do anything silly.

[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] - the streams here are small, and we rarely go to the river - although any of them could be dangerous even for a swimming bully when in flood. I give our boy a lot of freedom eg we walk off lead even in the suburbs, and that's potentially a lot more dangerous than the streams around here. But I watch the big boy like a hawk at all times!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not many bullies can swim or if they do, not very well.

PICTURES please!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would be very careful around the water, plus walking off lead around streets is very dangerous, it only takes a second to dart out in front of a car.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Lex can swim just for a bit by hisself. But he always has a life jacket on in case we can't get to him fast enough. He's a big baby and usually stays close to me in the water.

OP
H

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - he's really only swum 3 or 4 times, so I'm not sure if I have any of him swimming as opposed to wading, which he does a lot of, although we might do some more if the summer is hot. I will try and get a pic of him actually swimming. He might be swimming in the sea shot, but as in the others is probably just wading.

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - we have been walking many hundreds if not thousands of times on the streets without a lead over the past five years or so and I feel he is quite safe with that (and he much prefers to walk off lead) as I would not risk danger to the gorgeous apple of my eye. (I am not of course suggesting that anyone else walk off lead unless they feel quite comfortable with that). Giving him freedom allows him to learn how to avoid risk himself (whether in the water or when walking) SDC11920.jpgSDC11931.jpgSDC11988.jpgSDC11790.jpg, although he does still need to be watched very carefully eg if a rollerblader goes by.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the pics.... that is so cool!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.