cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Today I am home w/a sore throat and cough and Finn is home w/me. I decided to put Tate in daycamp b/c for one thing, i think it's good to separate the two of them once in awhile, and secondly, Finn got beatup by big brother last night and had to go to the vet.

They had another ferocious fight last night and it seems that Tate may have bit Finn's eye. The vet took a look, did an eye stain to see if there was anything more, and sent us home w/eye ointment. Otherwise, she said Finn looks "fantastic"! Well, that was a bit of good news. :)

I swear, sometimes I do not know what to do w/the two of them and their competitiveness. Last night was b/c I had a realtor over to look at my condo and the boys were all over him, wanting his attention. Luckily he loves dogs too and when Finn saw that Tate was getting snuggles from Tom, Finn lunged at Tate and then the fight began. I eventually was able to separate them, with Tate bleeding from a surface wound and then I sent Finn to his crate. It was about an hour later that i noticed Finn's rt eye was red and swollen.

The vet today gave me some advice about how to alleviate this competing and i'm going to try very hard b/c i simply hate it when the two of them get at each other like that.

Anyways, i think Finn will be okay and mom is going to get some rest herself now!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Im glad he is ok. Let us know the advice. I could sure use some sometimes here lol

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Im glad he is ok. Let us know the advice. I could sure use some sometimes here lol

Pretty much told me to make Finn "earn" things like getting his food bowl, going out the door, and (the big one), getting affection from me. The vet suggested that when Finn comes to me wanting attention that i should get up and walk away. I know that will be hard b/c he's just so darn cute!!
But basically the idea is to let Finn know that he cannot get things whenever he wants them but rather, that they are on my terms. She said i need to be pretty militant about it and changed behaviors won't happen overnight...to give it 3mos. I told her i'm willing to try anything at this point before i look for a behaviorist to intervene.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Pretty much told me to make Finn "earn" things like getting his food bowl, going out the door, and (the big one), getting affection from me. The vet suggested that when Finn comes to me wanting attention that i should get up and walk away. I know that will be hard b/c he's just so darn cute!!
But basically the idea is to let Finn know that he cannot get things whenever he wants them but rather, that they are on my terms. She said i need to be pretty militant about it and changed behaviors won't happen overnight...to give it 3mos. I told her i'm willing to try anything at this point before i look for a behaviorist to intervene.

search the web for a training technque called 'nothing in life is free' -- great tool to teach the dog to work for rewards (treats, food, affection)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
search the web for a training technque called 'nothing in life is free' -- great tool to teach the dog to work for rewards (treats, food, affection)

This is a great resource! i just did a google search on it. Yes, pretty much the same advice the vet told me. Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
this is a great resource! I just did a google search on it. Yes, pretty much the same advice the vet told me. Thanks!

great..... Good luck!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy sounds like you are in it alright. :( Well I have to say that so far (knock on wood) what I have been doing with Miila has helped almost 99% I think. She has tried to get scrappy maybe 5 times in the last week and I have always been there and ready for it. I had posted somewhere if you wanna find that thread but what I have been doing is first making Miila watch the boys eat, knowing she eats last. Then when she got real crazy I started hand feeding. Sounds crazy BUT I really think that might be the biggest thing that straightened her up, honestly. I make her sit/stay then grab a handful of food. Make her do a trick or learn a new one (work) then let her eat the food out of my hand. I still do half of her meals this way cuz it reminds her who is boss I think. I also will let her eat out of the bowl but will make her "take a break" randomly which means back up and sit/stay. Takes her a while to stand there and stop chewing but she does and will wait. Also her trigger was food, bones, toys etc so I have made sure to watch when they are together and she is not aloud in the kitchen. Although she has been so good about her attitude I find her sneaking in more. I think she knows she isnt bad now so why not? lol. Sucks when we cant trust them together. I keep Miila crated when we leave cuz she cant be trusted. Would be awful to come home to something horrific. Hugs! Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], really good advice! Im going to try hand feeding Finn and see how that goes. Just now I made him sit b4 I would pet him. Well, that's a start anyways! :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Henny, I'm sorry to see that you're sick again and sorry to see that the boys are still fighting. The advice from the vet sounds really good even though it's sure to be tough. But the rewards will be worth it. That article is really good I've read it once and should read it again. Good luck my friend. :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Everyone has given great ideas!! Pretty much was Cesar Millan advices. Good luck and keep positive, they are so cute

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

Awwwww! NILF. Know it well!

@cali baker ..Henny! I'm so sorry you are feeling puny. You need rest! And I hope those Boyz get their acts together. Two re definitely a real challenge. Stay strong! :hug:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I started doing the nothing in life is free with Mojo and Lola about a week ago. This teenage phase is driving me nuts

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.