Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3934]StacieD[/MENTION] - with both pups (in succession, not at once) I set up a dog-gated "kitchen only" area with the crate on one end with food, toys and water and a potty pad on the other end. It worked great. Sure, you come home to shredded potty pads occasionally, but that's fixed if you take em for a brisk walk before you leave the house. I used to hide treats in Bo's bed (in between blankets, under toys, in toys) at first when I'd leave in the morning for work. So he had a treasure hunt to do after I'd gone. The Kong Wobbler was a huge help during this time.

Your pup will be big before you know it. Enjoy this magical time.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
Crate training can be hard! Hang in there - it is so worth the peace of mind when they get used to it. If she is barking in the middle of the night, she may be waking you to go out. Penny did this until she was around 12-14 weeks old. She would cry for 10-15 mins when we put her to bed around 11 & then wake up crying at 3:30 or so. I didn't want to take her out for fear that I would reinforce the crying, but really, she needed to pee. I would take her out, then she would cry another 10 mins or so, but settle quickly. I would try taking her out to pee & straight back in. I also found that initially it helped to put a t-shirt that my husband or I had worn that day in the crate with her. She would literally curl up right on top of it. Covering the crate did help us, as well. I moved the crate to the family room during the day & did what you did -- putting treats in so that she got a little prize for going in if she did. The other thing that helped was putting her crate right next to my bed so that I could stick my hand down int he crate if she wouldn't settle. Hang in there & don't give up yet!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.