Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another Lilly update - We are making good progress! We have been bring treats near her crate throughout the day. When she goes into the crate, we celebrate and give her a treat. She usually just sits there, eats the treat, then leaves. Yesterday she started going into the crate for naps which is awesome progress! She actually fell asleep in the crate last night and didn't wake up throughout the night (only at 6am to wake me up!) We tried to crate her after taking her outside for potty in the morning, but she cried for a continuous 2 hours. Currently, she is napping in her crate which is wonderful. Hopefully tonight will be as good as last night!

Great progress... keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK tonight

asuman1179

Jan 9, 2012
Denver,CO
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
We did crate in bedroom for the first month. We also had it covered so he could only hear us at night. They have very small bladders at this age so make sure to take up water a few hrs before bedtime. We would take outside a couple of times in the night so he could use the bathroom. Since it was Jan and pretty cold out he learn pretty quick not to yelp to much because i thought he need to use the bathroom. It was hard for first month but gets much better. No when alarm goes off he is not happy because he would like to just sleep in.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I personally bring the crate in my room till they get used to being alone and away from what they once knew. I danggle my hand in the crate or over the crate. They are just like human babies IMO and need the comfort of you. She will probably be sleeping in your room anyway one day. Good luck and keep us posted! Everyone does it different.
Roanne

StacieD

Dec 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Hi All, I've just recently adopted a bulldog and training is going very well. I liked the advice about putting a blanket over the whole crate, that worked for Frankie perfectly. He now LOVES his man caves (one at work and one at home). BUT, I'll have to start leaving him home alone soon and don't feel right about him being crated for up to 8 hours a day, so after taking him outside for bathroom breaks, he actually rings the bell when it's time, how do I train him to go on a pee pad or newspaper if I make a little area for him to be in during the day? (I actually posted this question on here before, but I think I put it in the wrong thread, SORRY!!) So any suggestions for Frankie??

StacieD

Dec 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Hi All, I've just recently adopted a bulldog and training is going very well. I liked the advice about putting a blanket over the whole crate, that worked for Frankie perfectly. He now LOVES his man caves (one at work and one at home). BUT, I'll have to start leaving him home alone soon and don't feel right about him being crated for up to 8 hours a day, so after taking him outside for bathroom breaks, he actually rings the bell when it's time, how do I train him to go on a pee pad or newspaper if I make a little area for him to be in during the day? (I actually posted this question on here before, but I think I put it in the wrong thread, SORRY!!) So any suggestions for Frankie??

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Poor babies!!( you and the puppy!!!) I have to tell you that Mocha did that in the begining. So I brought her crate into my room,and I would put it right next to my side of the bed. Well , she did a little better, but within 2 days she started again. So I said to Scott, let us put her in the bed with us until she falls asleep, and gues what???? Mocha has been sleeping in bed with us for 2 years!!! Our solution was to purchase a bigger bed!!!! (I think I was of no help to you whatsoever)

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk

Hi Stacie,

How old is Frankie? If he's younger than 8 months he will probably have accidents, since he cannot physically "hold it" that long. There are pee pad sprays, that encourage them to pee on the pad. When he "goes" on it, give him praise like you would do if he went outside.

If he's old enough to hold it, 8 months or older, I wouldn't use the puppy pad since it basically teaches him to use the bathroom indoors. You could still have him penned in a small area with chew toys, bed, etc. Is it possible to have a friend or dog walker stop in and let him out for a bathroom break/short walk in the middle of the day?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Stacie,

How old is Frankie? If he's younger than 8 months he will probably have accidents, since he cannot physically "hold it" that long. There are pee pad sprays, that encourage them to pee on the pad. When he "goes" on it, give him praise like you would do if he went outside.

If he's old enough to hold it, 8 months or older, I wouldn't use the puppy pad since it basically teaches him to use the bathroom indoors. You could still have him penned in a small area with chew toys, bed, etc. Is it possible to have a friend or dog walker stop in and let him out for a bathroom break/short walk in the middle of the day?

[MENTION=3934]StacieD[/MENTION]..poppy gave you excellent advice. If at all possible could you have someone let him out at least at 4 hours. I think the rule of thumb is 1 hour or each month plus an hour. So a 12 week old pup could be expected to hold it about 4 hours. This will pass quickly but retraining him NOT to pee in the house will be hard! There are services that barge a set amount for a stop to potty your go..or even better..relative or friend..who is FREE!!

StacieD

Dec 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Frankie
Thanks for the advice!! Tomorrow will be the first day alone probably, (thought I'd try it on a friday) and slowly work into him alone all day. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes and hopefully get some pics of him up too! He is 4 months old by the way! and growing fast. Had him to the vet today and weighs in at 19 pounds!!! Love every ounce of my little fat man!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Reading this thread brought back some memories of Truman terrorizing me every night for the first months of his life. My first two bullies loved the crate right off the bat...not my Truman!

Hang in there - Truman was as bad or worse than Lilly and he's happy in his crate now. I also made the fateful mistake of pandering to his barks on the first night in the crate and he never forgot. And they say bulldogs aren't smart dogs...

Great job offering treats in the crate. I also fed Truman in his crate too to create a positive association, making the crate somewhere he wanted to be. Let us know how it goes!

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I am having the hardest time with my new puppy. My first was fairly easy to house train and did pretty well in her crate. Chuy on the other hand will pee and poo in his crate every time he is locked up for any amount of time (and crys/barks a lot in there). House training is really tough too. I will let him out... he will pee then 15 minutes later poo in the hallway.

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
So I have a status update and a question..

I thought Lilly was doing very well and was starting to get used the crate. We had many non-disruptive nights until 2 days ago. Lilly started crying and barking yet again all throughout the night.. and again, my girlfriend and I left her alone. We thought she would stop after 30 min. or so.. but no, she literally was awake all night crying. She did this again last night... We played with her all day and made sure she was completely wiped out of energy before bedtime.. but alas, she stayed up crying.

I have not been waking up to let her go potty in the middle of the night in fear she would think I was coming because of the crying. Sometimes I wake up to pee in the crate at 6 am.. but sometimes not. I know they can't hold it physically throughout the night.. but I am scared that if I go out there to let her out in the middle of the night.. she will 1) think I'm coming because of her crying and will continue to cry to get my attention and 2) stay up the whole second part of the night.

What should I do? :(

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its very hard and tiring house breaking bulldogs ,some learn very quickly some like mine are as slow as they can possibly be!!!.just keep thinking to yourself that one day your dog will be clean,annie is 18 months and still pees in the night at times,she has only recently started peeing whilst out on her walks she always walked for miles but would only pee in the garden,so try and be patient and think long term,btw i have a female that now cocks her leg up to pee!!!!,explain that one lol,karen

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
[MENTION=3896]LillyBulldog[/MENTION] : I stop giving mine water at 7pm and feed them around 5pm and it cuts down on the need to go during the night. Both of mine sleep with me so I have no advice on it. I try to keep Chuy out of his crate because he always poops in it and it is such a hassle to clean him and the crate.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.