Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted (Scroll down for pics!)!

Hello Everyone,I picked up Lilly from the breeder 3 days ago and she is a little princess. She has been to the vet, and has already fallen in love with my girlfriend and I. I have no problems or concerns.. other than how crate training has been going.The first night I got her and put her in the crate, she did no crying. She was on the breeder schedule and she went #2 in the crate overnight, but that only happened once.The next night she went potty before bed time, and we played with her until she was too tired to even stand. We put her in the crate and she started to cry and yelp for about 20 min. This is my first bulldog and the sounds they make are quite unique... so out of bad judgment and concern for the puppy as I have never heard snorts and noises like that, I went out near her crate and laid next to her before she fell asleep. She slept all night and had no accidents.Now yesterday is why I am writing this. We did the normal routine.. potty, play, then crate time. She has toys in her crate (I even put a Kong in there with frozen peanut butter), a nice blanket, etc. She started crying and yelping like usual for about 30 min, then went to sleep. About an hour later, she woke up and starting yelping and crying even louder. I live in an apartment complex and yelping and screaming dogs at 1 am will not make the neighbors happy (especially being on the 2nd floor!). She was going at it so much and so loud that I had to do something in fear that my neighbors would be pounding on my door. I let her outside.. she did no potty, put her back in the cage, laid next to her.. and finally, she went to sleep. I am now at work dead tired as I have gotten 3 hours of sleep.. and I just don't know what to do. If it wasn't for how loud she was and my living arrangements, I would have left her alone. Any advice would be helpful. I have a noise machine next to her, tried to put the TV on, keep lights on/off, toys, treats, put her day bed in there, ran her out of energy before putting her in there, have a sheet over the crate, made her space a little bigger, etc. Pics will come soon.. she is a cutie

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well, I hate to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure SHE is training you. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to stop her from crying without letting her cry. Maybe over the weekend you can start over and let her cry. I'd keep her on a crate schedule even during the day. If she's in it more at the beginning, it will feel more natural to her. I wouldn't give her more space. Only enough to stand up and turn around in until she is housebroken. May I also suggest..ALWAYS take her out AFTER playing with her. Even if she went before playtime. I'm wondering if playing right before bedtime might not be making her hyper. Good luck..there is a great website that has wonderful crate training advice. I'll find it later and add it here for you.

Its ...www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html

Last edited:

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hey! I totally agree with the other post! I have a 4-month bully and he's now really comfortable about sleeping in the kitchen alone. I didn't resort to crate training but he has a well-confined area in the kitchen. Patience is the key. I slept really bad for 3 days but didn't set foot in the kitchen unless he calmed down and it worked really well!
The thing is, she needs to learn that no matter what she does you won't come. Otherwise, you'll be encouraging her behavior.
Again, patience is the only way through.
Good luck!

Sabrina

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
You need to let her cry.

Go today to your neighbors and let them know ahead of time how sorry you are about the crying your puppy is making. Let them know it will only last another couple of days. Offer them a bottle of Merlot wine, a 6 pack of Guiness or
a Bottle Of Jack Daniels ...

Im sure they'll understand. Maybe they wont be happy with the crying for the next few days but at least they'll know you did the neighborly thing. They'll appreciate that.!

If they give you a negative response than just say you are sorry as you walk away.Then that nite, put the crate next to the wall from that particular neighbor
and pull on your puppy's tail real hard making her yelp even louder.! :yes:

Okay... I was just kidding about
the bottle of Merlot.
:rofl:

Last edited:
OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Really great suggestions - I really appreciate all of the great responses. I am going to move her crate to the far side of the room tonight and ignore her. That is actually a really nice idea about the beer/telling the neighbors. I don't live in the nicest of areas but courtesy never hurts.

I hope I can reverse the damage from the last 2 nights of calming her down. Being a bullie owner for the first time, I was so shocked to hear the awkward and painful sounding squeals coming from her. I just didn't want her to get so worked up that she would hurt herself, but again, I did more damage than good going out there for her.

I am going to not only need a 6 pack for my roommate.. but probably a whole case of liquor after she gets used to the crate!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Don't encourage the behavior by laying next to the crate, she will cry even more! It's tough in the beginning, but stick to it and your pup will learn to love her crate! I hope you can share pics of Lilly!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
oh i went through that with jameson...it was horrible...every night for a while....but i started throwing a blanket over the whole crate at night bam started sleeping like a baby.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
can't add a thing to this fine advise here.

Lookin' forward to Lilly pics!

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
I promise pictures when I get home from work. She is adorable.

Status Update - Last night I put her in the crate after going potty outside. She fell asleep in 10-15 min. without any problems and limited crying. I thought it was going to be a great night. At 2 am, she wakes up and starts yapping like nobody's business. Despite the complaints I know I am going to get for waking up all surrounding neighbors, I let her cry. She seriously cried, barked, and yapped from 2am-3:50 am. It was horrible. I was seriously considering showering to not cringe anymore. Is this normal for a puppy to yap this long.. or is this a product of me going out to her the last 2 days?

Also, this morning.. after feeding, playing, and potty, I put her back in the crate as I won't see her until lunch. She knows that she does not like the crate at all as when I put her in the there, she immediately tries to escape and get passed me before I get the lock on. Is this a normal symptom or should a puppy not be this a anti-crate after sleeping in it for 3 nights? I just hope it will get easier.. I was literally pulling my hair out of my head thinking how long more this could last.. and it didn't stop for almost 2 hours! Oh boy would this be much easier if I had 2 floors.

Edit - She also pooped in her crate last night. She went #2 20 min before going to bed.. but I guess she was so worked up that she went. She doesn't have much room in the crate, but she managed to get most of it actually outside the crate somehow.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's a good article my Cheri Lucas on crate training. In time, Lilly should see her crate as a cozy sanctuary - not somewhere to escape from. Waiting until she's calm - genuinely calm and submissive in the crate - before shutting the door is key to this. This takes time and patience and consistency.

http://www.cesarsway.com/cesarstips/thebasics/Crate-Expectations

Ain't puppies fun? I miss those puppy days! *sniff*

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hi there! You know, the second night Boris stayed alone in the kitchen, he actually cried ALL NIGHT LONG, non-stop! So yes, they can sure do it!
Like I said before, my bully doesn't have a crate. Anyway, never TAKE or PUSH your puppy to the crate.. You need her to go inside by her own (try to put toys or treats, something that she really likes) and when she is calm you close the door. You shouldn't close it if she is still excited.
Good luck!
Sab

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
Everyone has given you great advice and good luck with the training. My 4and half month old and 7 month old actually get up and go to thier crates at night to go bed ,by themselves or when we say bedtime. When your neighbour's meet her, they will fall in love with her and all will be forgiven! Pic's pleaseeeeeee

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted (Scroll down for pics!)!

OMG she is beautiful! i can not add much to all the great information.... except one thing, it is possible to put her crate in your bedroom with you and cover it? Most bulldogs NEED to be with their humans and if she knows you are in the room with her, may be she will become comfortable and start to love her crate more quickly. That is what I did with our two when they were pups... in a crate in the bedroom -- once fully trained they came into bed with us :D

OP
L

LillyBulldog

Dec 13, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly
Another Lilly update -

We are making good progress! We have been bringing treats near her crate throughout the day. When she goes into the crate, we celebrate and give her a treat. She usually just sits there, eats the treat, then leaves. Yesterday she started going into the crate for naps which is awesome progress! She actually fell asleep in the crate last night and didn't wake up throughout the night (only at 6am to wake me up!)

We tried to crate her after taking her outside for potty in the morning, but she cried for a continuous 2 hours.

Currently, she is napping in her crate which is wonderful. Hopefully tonight will be as good as last night!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online