Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frankie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

Thanks for the advice!! Tomorrow will be the first day alone probably, (thought I'd try it on a friday) and slowly work into him alone all day. I'll keep you all posted as to how it goes and hopefully get some pics of him up too! He is 4 months old by the way! and growing fast. Had him to the vet today and weighs in at 19 pounds!!! Love every ounce of my little fat man!!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Reading this thread brought back some memories of Truman terrorizing me every night for the first months of his life. My first two bullies loved the crate right off the bat...not my Truman!

Hang in there - Truman was as bad or worse than Lilly and he's happy in his crate now. I also made the fateful mistake of pandering to his barks on the first night in the crate and he never forgot. And they say bulldogs aren't smart dogs...

Great job offering treats in the crate. I also fed Truman in his crate too to create a positive association, making the crate somewhere he wanted to be. Let us know how it goes!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member wautersa's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alyssa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chelsea & Chuy
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I am having the hardest time with my new puppy. My first was fairly easy to house train and did pretty well in her crate. Chuy on the other hand will pee and poo in his crate every time he is locked up for any amount of time (and crys/barks a lot in there). House training is really tough too. I will let him out... he will pee then 15 minutes later poo in the hallway.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly
    Likes (Received)

So I have a status update and a question..

I thought Lilly was doing very well and was starting to get used the crate. We had many non-disruptive nights until 2 days ago. Lilly started crying and barking yet again all throughout the night.. and again, my girlfriend and I left her alone. We thought she would stop after 30 min. or so.. but no, she literally was awake all night crying. She did this again last night... We played with her all day and made sure she was completely wiped out of energy before bedtime.. but alas, she stayed up crying.

I have not been waking up to let her go potty in the middle of the night in fear she would think I was coming because of the crying. Sometimes I wake up to pee in the crate at 6 am.. but sometimes not. I know they can't hold it physically throughout the night.. but I am scared that if I go out there to let her out in the middle of the night.. she will 1) think I'm coming because of her crying and will continue to cry to get my attention and 2) stay up the whole second part of the night.

What should I do?

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

its very hard and tiring house breaking bulldogs ,some learn very quickly some like mine are as slow as they can possibly be!!!.just keep thinking to yourself that one day your dog will be clean,annie is 18 months and still pees in the night at times,she has only recently started peeing whilst out on her walks she always walked for miles but would only pee in the garden,so try and be patient and think long term,btw i have a female that now cocks her leg up to pee!!!!,explain that one lol,karen

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member wautersa's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alyssa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chelsea & Chuy
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@LillyBulldog : I stop giving mine water at 7pm and feed them around 5pm and it cuts down on the need to go during the night. Both of mine sleep with me so I have no advice on it. I try to keep Chuy out of his crate because he always poops in it and it is such a hassle to clean him and the crate.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

@StacieD - with both pups (in succession, not at once) I set up a dog-gated "kitchen only" area with the crate on one end with food, toys and water and a potty pad on the other end. It worked great. Sure, you come home to shredded potty pads occasionally, but that's fixed if you take em for a brisk walk before you leave the house. I used to hide treats in Bo's bed (in between blankets, under toys, in toys) at first when I'd leave in the morning for work. So he had a treasure hunt to do after I'd gone. The Kong Wobbler was a huge help during this time.

Your pup will be big before you know it. Enjoy this magical time.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)

Crate training can be hard! Hang in there - it is so worth the peace of mind when they get used to it. If she is barking in the middle of the night, she may be waking you to go out. Penny did this until she was around 12-14 weeks old. She would cry for 10-15 mins when we put her to bed around 11 & then wake up crying at 3:30 or so. I didn't want to take her out for fear that I would reinforce the crying, but really, she needed to pee. I would take her out, then she would cry another 10 mins or so, but settle quickly. I would try taking her out to pee & straight back in. I also found that initially it helped to put a t-shirt that my husband or I had worn that day in the crate with her. She would literally curl up right on top of it. Covering the crate did help us, as well. I moved the crate to the family room during the day & did what you did -- putting treats in so that she got a little prize for going in if she did. The other thing that helped was putting her crate right next to my bed so that I could stick my hand down int he crate if she wouldn't settle. Hang in there & don't give up yet!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads