Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted!

-1-jpg-2-jpg-3-jpg-4-jpg

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Another Crate Training Question - I'm Exhausted (Scroll down for pics!)!

OMG she is beautiful! i can not add much to all the great information.... except one thing, it is possible to put her crate in your bedroom with you and cover it? Most bulldogs NEED to be with their humans and if she knows you are in the room with her, may be she will become comfortable and start to love her crate more quickly. That is what I did with our two when they were pups... in a crate in the bedroom -- once fully trained they came into bed with us
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Another Lilly update -

We are making good progress! We have been bringing treats near her crate throughout the day. When she goes into the crate, we celebrate and give her a treat. She usually just sits there, eats the treat, then leaves. Yesterday she started going into the crate for naps which is awesome progress! She actually fell asleep in the crate last night and didn't wake up throughout the night (only at 6am to wake me up!)

We tried to crate her after taking her outside for potty in the morning, but she cried for a continuous 2 hours.

Currently, she is napping in her crate which is wonderful. Hopefully tonight will be as good as last night!
    Last edited by LillyBulldog; 01-07-2012 at 02:45 PM.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by LillyBulldog View Post
    Another Lilly update - We are making good progress! We have been bring treats near her crate throughout the day. When she goes into the crate, we celebrate and give her a treat. She usually just sits there, eats the treat, then leaves. Yesterday she started going into the crate for naps which is awesome progress! She actually fell asleep in the crate last night and didn't wake up throughout the night (only at 6am to wake me up!) We tried to crate her after taking her outside for potty in the morning, but she cried for a continuous 2 hours. Currently, she is napping in her crate which is wonderful. Hopefully tonight will be as good as last night!
    Great progress... keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK tonight
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

@LillyBulldog sounds like she is making great progress! She is beautiful! keep us posted!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball
    Likes (Received)

We did crate in bedroom for the first month. We also had it covered so he could only hear us at night. They have very small bladders at this age so make sure to take up water a few hrs before bedtime. We would take outside a couple of times in the night so he could use the bathroom. Since it was Jan and pretty cold out he learn pretty quick not to yelp to much because i thought he need to use the bathroom. It was hard for first month but gets much better. No when alarm goes off he is not happy because he would like to just sleep in.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby, Pebble and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I personally bring the crate in my room till they get used to being alone and away from what they once knew. I danggle my hand in the crate or over the crate. They are just like human babies IMO and need the comfort of you. She will probably be sleeping in your room anyway one day. Good luck and keep us posted! Everyone does it different.
    Roanne

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frankie
    Likes (Received)

Hi All, I've just recently adopted a bulldog and training is going very well. I liked the advice about putting a blanket over the whole crate, that worked for Frankie perfectly. He now LOVES his man caves (one at work and one at home). BUT, I'll have to start leaving him home alone soon and don't feel right about him being crated for up to 8 hours a day, so after taking him outside for bathroom breaks, he actually rings the bell when it's time, how do I train him to go on a pee pad or newspaper if I make a little area for him to be in during the day? (I actually posted this question on here before, but I think I put it in the wrong thread, SORRY!!) So any suggestions for Frankie??

Bulldog(s) Names
    Frankie
    Likes (Received)

Hi All, I've just recently adopted a bulldog and training is going very well. I liked the advice about putting a blanket over the whole crate, that worked for Frankie perfectly. He now LOVES his man caves (one at work and one at home). BUT, I'll have to start leaving him home alone soon and don't feel right about him being crated for up to 8 hours a day, so after taking him outside for bathroom breaks, he actually rings the bell when it's time, how do I train him to go on a pee pad or newspaper if I make a little area for him to be in during the day? (I actually posted this question on here before, but I think I put it in the wrong thread, SORRY!!) So any suggestions for Frankie??

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

Poor babies!!( you and the puppy!!!) I have to tell you that Mocha did that in the begining. So I brought her crate into my room,and I would put it right next to my side of the bed. Well , she did a little better, but within 2 days she started again. So I said to Scott, let us put her in the bed with us until she falls asleep, and gues what???? Mocha has been sleeping in bed with us for 2 years!!! Our solution was to purchase a bigger bed!!!! (I think I was of no help to you whatsoever)
    LisaMarie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by StacieD View Post
    Hi Stacie,

How old is Frankie? If he's younger than 8 months he will probably have accidents, since he cannot physically "hold it" that long. There are pee pad sprays, that encourage them to pee on the pad. When he "goes" on it, give him praise like you would do if he went outside.

If he's old enough to hold it, 8 months or older, I wouldn't use the puppy pad since it basically teaches him to use the bathroom indoors. You could still have him penned in a small area with chew toys, bed, etc. Is it possible to have a friend or dog walker stop in and let him out for a bathroom break/short walk in the middle of the day?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Hi Stacie,

How old is Frankie? If he's younger than 8 months he will probably have accidents, since he cannot physically "hold it" that long. There are pee pad sprays, that encourage them to pee on the pad. When he "goes" on it, give him praise like you would do if he went outside.

If he's old enough to hold it, 8 months or older, I wouldn't use the puppy pad since it basically teaches him to use the bathroom indoors. You could still have him penned in a small area with chew toys, bed, etc. Is it possible to have a friend or dog walker stop in and let him out for a bathroom break/short walk in the middle of the day?
    @StacieD..poppy gave you excellent advice. If at all possible could you have someone let him out at least at 4 hours. I think the rule of thumb is 1 hour or each month plus an hour. So a 12 week old pup could be expected to hold it about 4 hours. This will pass quickly but retraining him NOT to pee in the house will be hard! There are services that barge a set amount for a stop to potty your go..or even better..relative or friend..who is FREE!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads