is my lazy bulldog TOO tired..??

PiggyRufus

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
4yr old female - Piggy & 2yr old bulldog mix - Rufus
hey everyone! we have a 4yr old female english bulldog (Piggy) & a 2yr old male american bulldog mix (Rufus). Piggy has a low functioning thyroid and takes Thyroxin to regulate this, along with blood testing to monitor medication levels. She has been on this medication for about 2 years now and is doing well. Prior to medication she was having seizures on a regular basis, which have subsided. Onto the question..I have read that bulldogs become more lethargic as they get older. Piggy was always a very active dog, loves to go for walks, play with her brother (Rufus) and such. The past 3 weeks or so, she has become verrrrry sleepy. She will sleep EVERY chance she gets. Which is fine if that's what she wants to do and is HEALTHY! I am thinking that she is probably just becoming the 'typical' bulldog that we all see in the movies that is lazy, which she never was. I've heard alot that bulldogs will be very active the first few years of their life, and then become the lazy bulldog. She will sit up with her eyes closed and you can talk to her all you want and all she will do is crack an eyelid open to peek at you (hahaha). It really is quite funny. If she's decides to nap, you can do anything you want, she will not acknowledge you!! Is this what other bulldog people have found with their bulldogs? Or should she be checked out for an underlying problem..?? IMG_0666.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: your critters are very beautiful..and handsome! I would think her levels might need to be tested. If you've done that recently and all is fine..she must just be a bully! I had a cat on thyroid meds for the same reason and his activity level definitely slowed down. I'm sure others may have additional suggestions for you. Glad you found us!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Don't have anything to add but, oh my, she even takes pics looking sleepy. :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Ok, providing input this time. It is common that as bullies age, they prefer to sleep more often than play. However, if you find a sudden change in her that seems suspicious, I'd take her to the vet for a check-up just in case.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Ok, providing input this time. It is common that as bullies age, they prefer to sleep more often than play. However, if you find a sudden change in her that seems suspicious, I'd take her to the vet for a check-up just in case.

I have to agree with the above,,,,, BUT, that being said, our Princess Gracie came to us as a retired breeder at 3.5 and has always been a sleepy head. She is 5 now and naps almost constantly (sleeping in her bed under my desk while I type this). She wakes up very easily and looks at me to see why there was a noise or movement but goes right back t o sleep. She gets 'puppy playful' for about 10 minutes in the afternoon when Lari gets home from work but that is about the extent of her playfulness. Such is the life of a diva princess!
:welcome: to EBN. I hope you will stick around and please continue to post pix of your babies. PEEEE UUUUUUU!!! I think someone is telling me she needs to go out... ROFL!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
hmmmm...our boys are both coming up on 4 and they have spurts of a day or 2 where they sleep all day then they get the crazies and want to play allll the time. however they have never had 3 weeks of pure sleeping...as a person with a thyroid problem i might be inclined to get the levels tested to make sure they haven't shifted slightly. any increase will cause me to want to sleep for a year

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the site!

I agree ... get her levels checked. There is a slow down, but that seems more so than what would be considered normal.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.