Winter Walks??

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Hello Everyone! So this is my first winter in New England with Winston! As all of you New Englanders know this week the winter temps have returned! So my question is I know bullies can't handle heat, but what about cold?? Can I still take Winston on walks in the cold? and if so is there a certain temp that I should just keep him inside? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! : )

H

heff101

Heff prefers winter over summer. In summer we simply can not get him to go for a walk. Once it snows for some reason going for a walk is no problem. Think the fart head is scared of concrete!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I live in Southern California and its 85 today :eek:...but I'm sure you will get lots of advice. I do know it's important to make sure their feet are clean and dry after being n the snow!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bulldogs can't handle too cold either. But you can put a sweater on your dog to provide some protection. My bulldog, Bullie, is showing preference to 60's - 75's temperature. She will stay outside longer when it's that temperature. If too low or too high, she is out, then right back in, even with a sweater. I haven't tried using booties - maybe she'll stay out longer with them on.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Heff prefers winter over summer. In summer we simply can not get him to go for a walk. Once it snows for some reason going for a walk is no problem. Think the fart head is scared of concrete!

That is too cute! Winston refuses to walk on the concrete lol but he loves the grass!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Bulldogs can't handle too cold either. But you can put a sweater on your dog to provide some protection. My bulldog, Bullie, is showing preference to 60's - 75's temperature. She will stay outside longer when it's that temperature. If too low or too high, she is out, then right back in, even with a sweater. I haven't tried using booties - maybe she'll stay out longer with them on.

Anatess! This is the shortest answer EVER for you! Are you feeling okay? Where u been anyway?

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks for the advice everyone! I noticed yesterday when I took Winston outside to go to the bathroom he ran out did his business and SPRINTED back inside which he never does. lol. Apparently he doesn't like the cold either! Just like his Momma! 85 degrees and sunny sounds perfect!! I guess we will just have to play more fetch inside! :D

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Had to put a sweater under his winter vest on Punkin last night because it was -25 degrees Celcius weather. I think it made a difference because he wasn't scurrying back indoors.

I think with winter, it's best to use your judgement. If you feel that it's way too cold and that their paws will freeze in a short time, better let them do their business and zip back inside.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Anatess! This is the shortest answer EVER for you! Are you feeling okay? Where u been anyway?

LOL! Yea, quite a change from my usual wordy posts on the opposite side of the fence as yours. LOL!!! I am more than okay, I'm great!!! How about you? We went on a 10-day, 3,000 mile drive across 7 states and I haven't quite recovered... its was awesome except that we didn't see a single snowflake. We went as far north as Indiana!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My bullies were always more snow bunnies.... they do not mind the colder temps over the heat. Banks will stay out till we make her come in, but Nitschke use to always meander around the yard and when he got cold he'd go sit by the door enought to say -- I'M READY -- would you open the door!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I think it depends on the Bulldog and what they are used to. We have always lived where it gets cold and snows in the winter, but our dogs have always had access to inside 24/7 via their pet door. We still take them for walks when it is cold, but shorten the walk.

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Chelsea does better on our walks than I do in the cold and snow, we had to shorten them to accommodate me. :) I do always have her coat and booties on her (I take her boots off when we get closer to the house to make sure her pads still stay kinda tuff). Then I just makes sure to wipe down her paws when we get home.

OP
Lauren31287

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Great advice!! Thanks everyone!! Winston didnt seem to mind it this morning because it wasnt as cold as the past two days!! Maybe its just the extreme cold he hates lol! You guys are always so helpful thanks again!! :yes:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.