Help! Wetting the Bed

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Maggie will be a year old in just a couple weeks. Since she was about 6 months old, she has been sleeping with me on my bed at night. My Basset Hound also sleeps on my bed. That arrangement was just fine until about 6 weeks ago.

Starting about 6 weeks ago she started peeing on my bed. She's completely housebroken otherwise, but she did pee on my bed several times. Unfortunately, I never caught her at it and couldn't correct her for it. Now she's not allowed on the bed at all, and is crated at night.

Well, ever since she's been sleeping in her crate, she's been peeing in that at night. Not every night, but probably 4 or 5 times a week. I've been getting up in the middle of the night to take her out, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. Last night for example, she had already peed in her crate when I got up in the middle of the night, I changed the bedding, and she had peed in it again by the time I let her out in the morning. It's almost as if she prefers to sleep in pee instead of clean bedding.

I have a large doggy bed in my living room she shares with her sister for daytime naps and she's never peed on that, it's only the areas where she sleeps at night.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing? Is it a behavioral problem, or should I have her checked out for some kind of urinary infection? And if it is behavioral, is there a way to correct it?

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I would definitely have her checked to rule out any infections, then worry about behavioral changes after she is clear from that. Hope you get it figured out!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
*bumping this up so you can get more feedback*

After ruling out a health concern, why not try scrubbing down her crate completely, putting in new bedding and moving the nighttime bed to another location? A fresh start of sorts? You've already gone back to basics - with getting up in the night.... you are probably limiting water intake late in the evening too ... maybe her little brain is just "stuck" and a new location would shake it loose?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think id have her checked out. just in case. she maybe trying to tell your something. seems like something has changed. otherwise not sure really. im sure someone will be along with more insight into this.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Everyone has very good advice above...get her checked out for any infections, then if she is healthy, figure out what might have changed. I know when we started feeding Frank Blue Buffalo, he had to pee several times during the night all of a sudden, so we stopped the food and he went back to normal. I hope you figure it out...Good luck!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
have u taken away her bedding? let her sleep on the crate floor? see if she pees then....have her checked and if she doesn't have a uti then make her sleep on the crate floor...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would definitely have her checked to rule out any infections, then worry about behavioral changes after she is clear from that. Hope you get it figured out!

Agreed! Does it seem like she is emptying her bladder or just little piddles?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say that if she has been doing it for six months it may not be a UTI ... if a UTI had been left untreated for six months you would have seen more physical signs than this.

My suggestion would be to take away the bedding at night and see what happens ... there are a lot of bullies on here who will happily pee in their beds but not on the bottom of a crate!! No idea why!!!

OP
A

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
During the day she doesn't seem to pee an abnormal number of times, so I'm not sure it's a medical problem. But I'll have her checked anyway.

And yeah, when she pees in her crate again I'll try removing all the bedding and just leaving a bare crate floor for her to sleep on. I'll see if that changes anything.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
How much water is she drinking before bedtime? It could be possible if there's nothing physically wrong that she has to potty. We have a doggie door and Wilson (who will be 1 on Sunday) will take himself outside in the middle of the night. We usually know because he's out there barking too. Hope that's all it is.

Where is CO are you? Not many of us from CO here. :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@apogee
@kazzy220

I agree with Kazzy. My Jack sleeps iin his crate with NO BEDDING.
He has held it for over 10 hours without an accident (or purposely)

However, IF i place a towel or pillow in there, no sooner do I turn around that he'll give it a couple of squirts...
I guess they just want to mark their spot.... Even if it means they'll have to lye on it...

Jack is a year old. Im hoping that after 2 yrs old he'll become wiser....
Like ME.! :ROFL:

Last edited:
H

heff101

Heff used to pee in his sleep as well. Had the knuckle head checked out no urinary issue or nothing else. We changed his food to a lower protein food (Royal Canine Bulldog Formula). His bed wetting stop immediately.
Bulldogs are very sensitive to protein.
Try changing food.

OP
A

apogee

Aug 24, 2011
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla
Her crate is very big for her. It came with a divider, so I stuck that in there to make her sleeping area smaller. I also removed the thick blanket that was her bedding, and replaced it with a thin towel.

So far, two nights with no peeing. If there are further mishaps, I'll try completely removing all bedding.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.