Concern about my bulldog

MikeyBoi

Jun 30, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Aye-Ma like Hey Ma
Im concerned about my bulldog because just a few minutes ago when my girlfriend was cleaning her and noticed all four paws are red on the inside ...theres a few picture ive attached.Im gonna bring her to the vet first thing its opened. But im just wondering what could it be.Ive been taking her on a walk everyday befor i go to work or if i have to leave the house.So she can have her BM.Its very effective Thanks to everyone for contributing on my last post.But since its january and i stay in Massachusetts its very cold outside and a few times i walked outside after the rain so the floors kinda wet and stuff.I was wondering could anyone of those are the reason why my paws is like this?
Also since the last post you guy let me know Royal Canin is very crappy food and through the story about food on EBN made me wanna switch.And through the help of a new friend Champ Waring and a lil researched that helped by narrowing down a few options for me. And ive came to conclusion its gonna be Fromm Grain Free suft and turf,Fromm grain free beef frittata,or Natures Variety instinct dry food because its grain free AND also gluten free.Does anyone have any comment from self experience or anything to contribute?

Attachments

• 12-BD52B7AD-426600-960.jpg
    12-BD52B7AD-426600-960.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 12-F2A33A7C-377487-960.jpg
    12-F2A33A7C-377487-960.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 12-F9769CF8-387879-960.jpg
    12-F9769CF8-387879-960.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Thats what Im thinking too.Allergies.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
it could be allergies, lola will chew her feet when something doesn't agree. I also heard that salt on the sidewalks is really bad for puppy feet, so bootie up that dog for snowy and wet walks. i think any of those new dog food choices are good, just see which one puppy likes best, or if he does well on the first one,you're lucky :) we're tryin the fromm family out (lola really doesnt like kibble), but she's most interested in the duck & sweet potato variety. hope puppy paws clear up soon!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2667]MikeyBoi[/MENTION] - they're all great foods.... it's up to your pup on which one you ultimately go with. They may all be great...or one will stand out as better than the others. Every dog is different. Good luck.

And just to make sure that the issue isn't environmental, I'd just wipe those feet when you come in from outside. Just as an added precaution.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Sounds and looks like allergies to me. Wilson chewed on his feet constantly, he has grass allergies. Once the snow came and the lawn went dormant, he quit chewing on his paws. I've had him allergy tested and he's allergic to several types of grasses. I would simply clean his paws with a clean wet rag, dry them and add dab a bit of cornstrach to dry him out and that really helped. Of course that was a nightly regiment during the Summer/Fall. When the grass was mowed it was worse for the next day.

If you can, think about getting him allergy tested by your vet. It sure helps stop the guessing game on 'what' he could be allergic too.

Poor guy.

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would say allergies cuz with these babies that is almost ALWAYS the cause. I agree your food choices are all great, just pick one and jump in. You may try 5 or more foods before you get the right one for your baby so dont give up. Remember to do a slow switch over a period of at least a week but I like to drag it out to more like a month. lol. Especially if switching from a lesser quality food to a good one. Their tummies are so sensitive you will see if you go to fast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@MickeyBoi that is so an allergy. My boy was allergic to rice and my girl and new boy are both allergic to chicken -- when they have this in their diet, paws are red and they constantly lick/chew.We use the Fromm beef and they are doing great on it. Till you get the switch done you can soak his feet in warm water and epsom salt to help with the irritation.also, ask your vet to do a full screen blood allergy test -- it will give you a list of what to avoid.

Oh and -- the salt used on the street for ice/snow -- very bad for the paws, be sure to wash/wipe when you get in from walks.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i know im late but that is allergies and yeast. the yellow on the pads is yeast and the redness in between to but was hard to see on the pics. sarahs is very red and looks almost swollen on one paw. most probably caused by food. id say a change in food is in order. i put tolnaftate on sarahs pads and in between to help with the yeast and also i use hydrocortisone for itching if there is any. ive heard epsom salt soaks work but havent tried it as i have a yeast shampoo i soak her feet in as well. let us know how it goes.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sorry, I can't give any more advice on the red paws, you've gotten such excellent replies. But the food issue is probably one of the toughest things to figure out. Royal Canin is a low dog food because it has crappy ingredients. if you read the article on Dog Food in the forum section, it will help you understand. Besides the allergy test, one thing to remember is Surf n Turf has chicken in it. A lot of bullies seem to be sensitive to chicken. Good luck!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My dog has allergies to grass and weeds so his paws get itchy and he licks and chews them. I can usually stop the itching by washing and drying his paws. Then I soak a cotton ball in witch-hazel and rub between his toes and around the bottom pads. Of course every time he goes outside I have to repeat the procedure. It does give him temporary relief. He also gets Benadryl.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Remember to do a slow switch. Gracie did ok on the surf and turf but still had some issues. We switched to the beef frittata that has no chicken and she did even better. But we also were experimenting with salmon oil at that same time so we aren't positive it was the chicken. It may have been the salmon oil. Anyhow, we discontinued both and switched to beef frittata and all was well. Just like tuning a race car; try to make one change at a time for the best analysis. LOL

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
The paw wiping seems like a lot of work at first--but once you get into the routine it gets easier. We have tried several things that have helped with red itchy paws. Food is one--here are som other things to consider...

Dogs sweat through the pads of their feet. Anything they come in contact with will be absorbed in. Chemicals on hardwood floors, ceramic floors, carpet fresh, detergents with fragrances in them all can irritate your allergy dog. I switched over to a floor steamer for my hardwoods and ceramic floors. I think we only use chemical cleaners once in a blue moon--and when we are done we are sure to rinse with clean water and dry several times to reduce the amount of chemical exposure Lucy gets from cleaning products. Just a thought!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online