Are black tongues normal in bulldogs?

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
I recently brought home my new baby and i noticed that his tongue is solid balck. Ive never seen this before. My 1 year old female has black spots inside her mouth, but her tongue is pink. Im just curious...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I personally don't know, but I bet [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] would.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Only time I've seen/heard of black is in a Chow.... as [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] stated someone will know

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wow I have never heard of or seen this, could be a genetic trait that skipped generations. Perhaps I never really paid too much attention and have seen it before? But not that I can recall. Would love to see pics!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We definitely need a pic of this. I can sort of see it in your avatar but the pic is so small, by the time I blow it up it is way out of focus. Pleeeeeeez! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never heard or seen an English Bulldog with a black tongue. The only thing I can think of is it must have Chow in the bloodline somewhere down the line.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have never heard or seen an English Bulldog with a black tongue. The only thing I can think of is it must have Chow in the bloodline somewhere down the line.

That was my thought, I have always heard that if they have tongue with black or purple, that chow would be in the mix....Not sure but I think once I heard Shar Pei too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I found this on Answer. com not usre if true but interesting none the less:

Chow Chow's are the only breed that have blue/black tongue.
Ok I am not to sure who really answered this question but I am going to fix it, because the first part of this question is wrong on so many levels....
Many people mistakenly assume that a dog with a black tongue is a Chow or at least part Chow. In reality, there are many other breeds of dog that may have black spots on their tongue or gums.

The Chinese Shar-Pei (commonly referred to as the 'wrinkle dog') is another breed that is known to have a black tongue. Many breeds are known to have tongues or gums with black spots, prompting less knowledgeable owners to think they may have a dog that is of mixed parentage rather than a purebred. Now to answer the question correctly the follow breeds are ALL know to have black tongues:

Airedale (If purebred, they only have black spots, not an entirely black tongue and it does relate to Chow Chow bloodlines in the breed development in this situation)
Akita
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd
Belgian Sheepdog
Belgian Malinois
Bichon Frise
Bull Mastiff
Cairn Terrier
Collie
Cocker Spaniel
Dalmation
Doberman Pinscher
English Setter
German Shepherd Dog
Golden Retriever
Gordon Setter
Great Pyranees
Irish Setter
Keeshond
Labrador Retriever
Mastiff
Newfoundland
Pomeranian
Pug
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Rottweiler
Siberian Husky
Tibetan Mastiff.....
as well as several other breeds that are less well known here in the United States.

And to throw in there as well what is the cause of this. The black spots on a dog's tongue are a result of excessive pigment, much the same as freckles or birthmarks that might appear on you and I.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My son had a beagle/red chow chow mix and her tongue was all black. She was a beautiful red looking beagle shaped mutt. She lived to 14 yrs. and proved to be an excellent guard dog but shed like crazy. :)

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
The list there has a pug as a breed that could have a black tongue, and I recall reading somewhere that EB's come from pugs... I would love to see a pic as well. I had a Shar Pei that died this last year, his tongue was solid blue!

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
The only thing I know about black tongues is that pure bred dogs have black spots. I haven't heard anything about an all black tongue!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
One of my rescue dogs is a black lab chow mix and his tongue is black. I've never seen a bulldog with a black tongue but if the post above is right then any dog could have one!! I too would love to see pics!!

OP
ccw0419

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
Well i feel stupid now. I was going to show my husband and to my suprise it was pink. You think maybe it was because he was lying on his back or something? i could have sworn i saw a black tongue.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've never seen a bullie with a black tongue either - or spotted even.

I do know that when my Mable was visiting the vet regularly for tummy drains (heart failure), Dr. Terry always checked her tongue and gums first thing....to see if they're nice and pink. If they aren't, there's a lack of oxygen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.