Can someone please explain?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm curious: what is an Olde English Bulldogge? How are they different?, or how do they compare to English Bulldogs? I've seen lots of ads for them and I did notice they aren't AKC. They look like long legged EB's.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I've been wondering the same thing but I do remember when i've looked it up before that they were the older breed used in fighting way back when. I am not sure of the history though. I am sure there are some experts here though!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Olde English Bulldogs are a bit taller, less wide, and have much less health issues than English Bulldogs. They weigh a lot more than an English, due to their height. They have nice muscles just like an English, but they can be described as "less bulldoggy" than an English. I think they are wonderful, and to me, they are still just as lovely :)

History: (found on another website for you)

Being disgusted with the health and condition of the modern day bulldog, David Leavitt of Spring Grove Pa. began creating the Olde English Bulldogge in 1971. His goal was to create a healthy, athletic bulldog, that was considered capable, but without the extreme tenacity of it’s ancestors. The dog was to have a loving disposition, but still protect it’s family if called upon. This goal was achieved by using a line breeding scheme that was developed by Ohio State University for use with cattle. The original foundation stock consisted of ½ English Bulldog, 1/6 American Bulldog, 1/6 American Pitbull Terrier, and 1/6 Bullmastiff. After many carefully planned crosses the Olde English Bulldogge emerged and began breeding true. By 1985 three true lines had been developed and the breed was considered sound, stable and well suited for modern life.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
And, none of the expensive breeding stuff. I've been told they can mate naturally and birth naturally.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
All I know is they are dang cute! :) Thanks for the info, I know I had known that at one time but couldnt remember for the life of me now what they were made of.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I've considered getting one. There is a breeder out here that started breeding them after his English Bulldog died of heat exhaustion. I talked to him for a while, he said the Olde's are basically the same as far as personality is concerned. They still act like bullies which is a big thing for me, I love the personality of the EB. They do breed naturally and are like half the price.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.