Collar vs. Harness

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Nigel has his spike collar (of course) but I'd like to know which do you prefer and why? Is there a major difference in either one being used? Suggestions for harnesses are welcome since I'd like to get one for him and Karly soon.

Thanks for your input!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i used to use a collar for sarah. i do like how she looks in it but alas i was always forgetting her harness when i would go somewhere with her and her collar just slips off her head. so now i just use a harness all the time. i got one at petco. its padded and still looks good after many months in it. it says american kennel club on it. its one that goes around both legs and they step into it.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We have never used anything but a harness. We have the basic step in one they sell at Petsmart in several colors so we can coordinate with the outfit of the day.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We used to just use a collar, but Frank is so stubborn sometimes...it was just safer to use a harness. He has a nice step in one (though he never steps in himself, I always have to lift him up and place him on it). We just use collars now for decorative occasions and pictures.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I use a collar on both dogs; a martingale style as I use the sound of the chain as a correction. I could never put Bo in a harness (right now, anyway) because he's learning not to pull on the leash. A harness would only intensify this trouble as it's for pulling purpose - plus you have zero control over the head of the dog if you're training.

Otherwise, I'd say it's just a personal preference.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Both, I use a collar for walks and a harness for better control when we go to the vets or to get his nails done or go to Petsmart. At 63 lbs. he can pull me and the collar chokes him.

OP
NigelsMom

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Thanks for your input...great info and [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] that's exactly what I thought so harness shopping in the works very soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Collar for walks and training sessions.. Harness is for car rides so we can place the seat belt through for safety.

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Harness on Mr.Bruno 75% of the time. A chain collar for the house and quick potty breaks outside. He is 60 pounds and when he pulls he chokes himself badly. He does well so long as he does not bump into any of his doggie buddies outside.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.