Did you know ...

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Frontline bleaches leather?!?!?! Yeup. We found out the hard way. Hubby put on Chunk's Frontline and ran out to the store, came back to orange-ish spots on our one couch cushion (couch is brown leather). We had no idea what happened until Hubby's work buddy sent a link showing that Frontline can bleach leather and other surfaces. Grrrreaatt. Thankfully we got the couch on Craigslist for cheap to see how it would work out with the Chunkster before we made a major investment. Anyone know if any other topical treatments do this? We also just switched to a topical heartworm preventative (I forget the name and quite frankly, my prego butt is too tired to go back downstairs). Has anyone used anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
wow didnt know that

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] if you use Sentinel for heartworms it will keep your fleas at bay. We do not use any topical flea med. Only Sentinel and have never had a flea problem

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the info [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]! That might be what we switched to (the vet did mention that it did more than heartworm prevention). I'll have to look in the morning. We have never had any flea problems (knock on wood) but we do live in an apt complex with a lot of dogs so I try to keep the Chunkster as covered bug/pest-wise as possible. I am very sure some of these people do not take care of their doggies like I do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yikes! I can see that happening due to the chemicals in it. If it were my couch, I'd try dabbing some Old English Dark Oil on it too see if will darken the orange spot.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Sorry i dont know anything about frontline, but the advantage multi stuff that i use on lola stinks to high heaven. I would say that now is the time to buy a new leather couch on sale though :) maybe if you treat the leather with some waterproofing/mink oil (not real mink oil) the medicine would just crust off next time?

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] Thanks for the idea! My husband said color it with brown Sharpie ... ugh MEN!!! I switched it to where the spots are on the end of the couch and was considering investing in some larger throw pillows to cover it. :lol:

[MENTION=3225]aprilemari[/MENTION] ... I would love to purchase another ... but I have a baby on the way so I'll stick with this til we are out of the messy years!!! :D I'll check out the mink oil too - thanks!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think checking at a craft place for the stuff they use to stain leatherwork if the old English doesn't work might be an idea too.

Last edited:
OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh! Thanks [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]! I'm so not crafty at all so I would never think of something like that!!! You guys are the best :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Thanks for the warnings! We are actually thinking of getting a leather couch....good to know another thing to look out for with doggies and nice furniture.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've always used Avantix... never any issues with the furniture or either pup.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] NP! Otherwise the leather is great - so much easier to maintain. Before we had microfiber and that was just awful.

[MENTION=3100]Miss Chelsea[/MENTION] Probably only a few hours ... this is the first problem we've had in at least 6 months and I really think it's because it happened so quickly. Usually it's not wet enough to shake off ... but in the future, we will just keep him off the couch til it dries at least partially. I think it ultimately takes a few days to dry completely, but we'd be safe after a few hours. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.