Paw Irritation

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I slept through most of the holidays due to my cold... luckily I was visiting my mom so she was able to care for Chelsea. However when I was leaving yesterday she showed me the bottom of Chelsea's paw which was red and irritated. I cleaned all her paws and sprayed them with Phytovet CK Spray - antiseptic spray with essential fatty acids and vitamin E (she got the spray from the vet when she had irritation from her collar last summer). I was told to give her a day or two to let it heal because it doesn't seem to be bothering her but wanted to check to make sure I shouldn't be taking her to the vet earlier (its difficult for me to gauge since I practically call the vet every time she hiccups). Any advice would be helpful!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It sounds to me like she got into something that irritated her paws. If you've washed them really good, all you really can do is wait n see for now. Keep her paws clean - hypoallergenic baby wipes are kept by the back door here for re-entry into the house - and the irritation should subside. If it doesn't, a trip to the vet may be in order. I'd avoid putting anything on them - even the spray you have - for now in case the spray is adding to the irritation....?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] -- wsh the paws and give it a day or two

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Was there any change in what she has had to eat during the holidays? A different or new Christmas treat or anything? She could be having an allergic reaction. And if there has been a new or different treat that she has had I would withhold and then only try again under close observation after she has healed up to see if it again bothers her again. Sometimes finding that kind of allergy can be trial and error.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advice above, so nothing to add. I would just watch it for a day or so and hopefully it will get better soon.

OP
wautersa

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Thanks for the advice... I don't think daycare today helped since all her paws got super dirty. I washed them all when we got home and was going to give it the weekend to heal. She got a few new toys for christmas but not really treats. My thought is that maybe her paws got really dirty last time at daycare and maybe her bath after didn't rinse away all the dirt (I don't usually inspect her paws enough to notice). She is really good about letting me clean her paws and doesn't act like it bothers her.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.