Chunk's first weekend Part II, Questions...

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, so I don't want to start too many threads but, since we have moved on from the paperwork and pick up we have more questions.

First off for anyone who didn't see the last thread. Here is a picture of our boy Chunk, and he is 11 weeks old.

39972.jpg

His second night was wonderful compared to his first. We went to bed about 11pm and put him in his new wire crate next to the bed, as suggested here. He went right to sleep, almost no noise, and slept until 4:30am when he woke me up to potty. We went out to potty, came back in went to sleep and he didn't need to go again until about 8am. Very happy with the improvement by just the second night. :D

First question is about him peeing in the house. He will go outside potty and then come inside, we play and mess around. Issue is that every once in a while he will pee when he sits down. Not every time he sits, just sometimes. Problem is we don't know when he is going and now check every time he sits for wetness. Is he doing this on purpose or is he just to young to always know when he goes. He is very good about going when we are out side and he stretches out when he goes out there, never sits. I just wanted to see the best way to get this cured before it becomes a long term issue.

Second, when we play he loves our hands and feet more than the toys. He is constantly biting at them rather than the toys. He likes his toys but loses interest in a couple minutes. I am going to look for some kongs and nylabones today for him to see if that helps. Would be interested in any toys that your puppies love that we might be able to get locally or at PetSmart today and then also ones we can order in if not.

Third, we are going to give him a bath today. I have seen some small write-ups but can anyone give us some set by set links or something? I want to make sure we do everything correctly so we don't create a fear of baths or bad habits. Also, can I get a list of the best shampoos ect that we can work on getting for next time? We just picked up the best we could locally, but I am sure there is better.

Those are the biggies for today. Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the help. We are very green at this and just want to do everything the best possible for our little guy.:detective:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He is wonderful. Glad there was such an improvement. One of the things to remember is take him out every 20 to 30 minutes all day..AND after playing....and of course,after eating. Be real consistent..make a big deal when he goes and take him ight back in after he goe. He will catch on quickly!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Awwww yay!!! Another Chunk!!! He's so super cute. We got our Chunk at 2 years old so unfortunately I have no real puppy help. However, I know you will get the answers you are looking for in no time! :). Good luck with him :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I can't get over that face. He's so darn cute! Seems like a lot of puppies like to nip hands and feet from what I've read on this forum, so a firm NO! and redirecting his attention to a toy is in order. Yes always praise lavishly when they potty outside. My BabyGirl will be 3 years old and she still runs back to me for praise when she does her poop/pee so I always say "Good Girl" and pet her generously. Enjoy these puppy days and don't forget to take pictures because they grow so quickly and life gets so busy one forgets to stop and take in the sweetness of the moment. Pictures help you capture it so you can enjoy it later when you have some time. Keep up the posting because I'm enjoying your experiences with Chunk and feel excited about your new baby with you. :)

e50023cf.jpg

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oops! I didn't give you help with bathing or toys! I use an oatmeal shampoo..try not to get too many perfumes or additives..less is more with these guys! Be careful of his eyes and ears. I lather up Jakes body really well..let it sit for hopefully about 10 minutes and rinse..rinse..rinse! I was his face with a wash cloth and use witch hazel on a cotton pad to reach deep in his ears. I also use witch hazel on a Qtip in his wrinkles..a rubber horse curry brush works great on his hair! Good luck..take pictures and post as many threads as you want!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good advice above already, some people will put a cotton ball in each ear when they bath their bullies to help keep water out. Water in the ear can lead to ear infection. We use the oatmeal shampoo as well, it seems to do a good job. As far as the biting hands and feet, baby bullies LOVE hands and feet and pants. Just be patient, he will out grow this in a few months. You can redirect with a toy when ever he goes for the hands of feet. Tell him NO and give the toy. If he gets too persistent, he may be tired and needs a time out for a nap. Any time they quite playing take him out to potty, also every time he wakes up or after eating take him out and like everyone has said, praise him highly after he goes. He will soon learn. It can take several months so be patient. So happy to hear he is doing good at night, it won't be long before he sleeps all night. He sure is a cutie so enjoy the puppy months while you can.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi! In addition to the great advice above, when I first brought my Stig home, I could tell he needed to go pee when he starts smelling the floor. That's when I follow him to see if he does his peeing squat. When he does, interrupt him by saying NO loud (like how you would say no when he's nipping at your hands and feet) and guide him outside. Once he does his business outside then praise him like there's no tomorrow. Hope that helps!

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Thanks everyone. New question for you. We have one step down to our back patio from our sliding door that we go out to the back yard. Is it going to hurt him buy going up and down it constantly to potty? I heard that stairs are a no no for puppies as it affects their growth plates and create long lasting issues. Is one step enough to do anything? He isn't exactly grace about climbing down it. He almost leaps off it. Thanks for your help on this.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
He will learn to navigate the step. And one shouldn't hurt him at all.

HRH has two steps in and out of our house. She doesn't even act like they are there. Never did from the time we got her at 3 1/2.

But she never even tries to go up the steps to our second floor. It's scary up there :eek:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My suggestion always to new puppy owners is this: read this book. http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Perfect-Dog-Puppyhood/dp/0307461300/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_b I think many of Mr. Millan's philosophies are particularly relevant to these strong-willed doggies we love so much!

My best advice for bath time is to make it fun - then they'll WANT to get into the tub for bath time. Both Bea and Bo love the soapy scrubbing part *where you use fingernails and really scrub* and the drying off with towels part at the end. Bea likes to play in the soapy water for a bit - but Bo doesn't. He just wants to get to the towel part - and when I stop, they both beg for more.

Have fun with your baby. He's going to be grown so quickly....you'll wonder where the time went.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.