Picking up our puppy tonight... Need some pointers please.

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
We are really looking forward to picking up our little 10 weeks old puppy tonight.

Wanting to get some tips so that we don't overlook any of the paperwork. What do we need to make sure we get from the breeder?

- Signed health guarantee
- AKC paperwork (They say they will mail it after Christmas)
- Puppy contract

What else should we get? Is it ok to wait on the AKC paperwork? We want to make sure we do everything right the first time.

Lukeg28

Dec 9, 2011
I'm from the UK so it may be different but why not just give you the paperwork when you pick it up? I would want a vet check aswell and a item from when the puppy was growing up, favourite toy etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
I am most concerned about the paperwork issue as they are 4 hours away from us.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I don't understand why they just don't give you the AKC paper work when you pick your baby up. We always give the AKC paper work, microchip paper work, health guarantee, and puppy packet. Plus I would take him to the vet as soon as possible to have a complete check up. Plus take a blanket with you and try to get mama's scent on it, will help a little. Plus the most important thing is post some pics of that cute little bundle of joy you have, so we all can see your new baby. Be patient with the little guy as he will be in a new place and missing all his litter mates. Crate training is a good thing to do and will help with the house training as well. Here is a link to an excellent article about bringing your new pup home.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=354-Welcoming-Home-Your-New-Bulldog-Puppy

Gold bullies

Nov 27, 2011
Dayton Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Bonez, Bitzie, Brook and Bumble....not forgetting our ff Mr Burger
Congrats on your new fur baby. They should have a form at least for you to register your puppy. When we got Bonez they had a paperwork for us to send off. With Bitzie I sent a few texts until she sent us her form. Back home in the uk they would have the pedigree when you picked your pup up.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:dancing: a new pup! Congrats..you've gotten great info. On the AKC papers, we were given a "litter registration" and then we could register Jake from that on our own.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
If Breeders are wanting to wait until after Christmas then at least get all the info that is off the litter Registration Papers Like parents name and reg numbers and even the puppys litter no. please post pics of this darling baby as soon as you can

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, I will see what I can get off the litter registration at the least. Just want to make sure that I get what I can while I have leverage since once they have the money I have a feeling it just gets harder. I will post up some pics later tonight and I am sure we will be asking alot of questions so we can get him situated. Thanks everyone for your help.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
How exciting!

01eab54d.jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
don't forget to watch closely around the tree,gifts and light cords.

I hope all goes well. I am not sure why the papers would take so long. Can you hold some money back until you get them?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
On the AKC papers, we were given a "litter registration" and then we could register Jake from that on our own.

Congrats on your new baby... have you selected a name yet? also, I rec'd the same as Jakeisgreat...when we picked up our pups

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Congrats on your new baby. Please post pictures as soon as you can. When we picked up Wilson we got all his paperwork, including the AKC registration paperwork. Try to get into the vet in the first 48 hours. Your breeder may require that check your paperwork. As David said crate training is a really good idea we did that for Wilson and he loves it. Be patient with them and give them enough time to go potty. Wilson was a two-time pooper and our other puppy Jack is a two time pottier, we picked up on that pretty quick and it all worked out pretty well for us. Have teething toys, ice There's invaluable information here so peek around, get comfortable, and ask away with questions you have. Get teething toys, ice cubes a great and there's some toys that you get wet and then put in the freezer - those would work really well too. Enjoy all his puppiness, he'll grow up very fast. Have fun and congratulations! :up:

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, got him home about 930. Played, watered, pottied, nap, pottied and then to bed about 1230. The crate is in the master bath about 8 feet from us. We put him in his crate with a bed, toy and a blanket. Decent amount of crying but not too bad. I woke up 2 hours in and noticed he was panting, so I took the towel off the outside of the crate we used to keep it darker thinking it was holding to much heat in. When I did I noticed it smelled like he peed already.

My questions are:
- do I need to worry about the panting, is he over heating
- why did he pee already
- am I teaching him bad habits to leave him in the pee till morning

Comments are greatly appreciate since I am worried about him and can't sleep. Thanks

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Did you manage to find out why he was panting ... the bathrooms in our house are always so hot so could he have over-heated?

I wouldn't leave him in his pee. You're going to have accidents because this is all very strange to him. I love crate training but have to say that Daddy was just awful!! Used to pee and poop in his cage and not care one bit!! He was 1 in August and STILL occasionally pees on his bed so he still spends the night in his crate!!!

If you think he's standing in the pee you can use the baby wipes(I use the ones for sensitive skin) and wipe his feet if you don't want to bath him everyday!

Congrats on your new baby!!! And now on to the most important part... Pics please!!!! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.