Picking up our puppy tonight... Need some pointers please.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My questions are:
- do I need to worry about the panting, is he over heating
- why did he pee already
- am I teaching him bad habits to leave him in the pee till morning
Why type of crate is he in? Is it the plastic closed type with the slates on the side. If so, yes he's overheating. I had the same issue with Wilson and couldn't figure it out. Once I got him the metal wire style cage the panting stopped.

He's a puppy and they pee alot. :). Try not to leave him in the pee. I would have to change out Wilson's bedding quite a bit when he was going through the potty training stages. I recommend using towels for his bedding with a pitty pad as towels are easy to toss in the washer. Wilson's 11 months now and occassionally will have a mishap in his day crate if I'm gone too long and didn't give him enough time to pee in the morning. It's far and few between though.

If he keeps whining in his crate at night, try putting the crate close to your bed. I read in one of my books that he they're whining at night in their crate, simply place your hand down where they can touch it and the whining will stop....it works. I used to put my fingers in the opening too. He's fall right back to sleep.

Now get us those pictures. :p

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
puppies pee and pee and pee...like every 2 hours they go. it will take a while to make it with no accidents. just take him out as much as possible...he won't be able to go a whole night for a while...you might want to avoid bedding for a while until you have less accidents...this way you aren't constantly washing stuff.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
puppy peeing
Good rule of thumb.... they can hold their bladder for 2 hours more than their monthly age. So, if they are 3 months old, they can old the bladder for only 5 hours. Meaning, you may need to do a mid - night potty run to avoid the pee pee in the crate

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like you have some good advice above, we would put down towels for them and change them out any time they would pee on them. It will be awhile before he can go all night without peeing. If you have the plastic crate, I would get a wire crate, that will stop the panting. Enjoy your new pup and give him a hug from us.

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, sorry it took so long. Here is our new little guy, 'Chunk'.

IMG_0167.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
What an adorable lil chunk... he's beautiful, congrats! The pics are making me miss the puppy days.

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
He is definitely starting to get more comfortable already. I need to read more about training him to come as he seems to be a little stubborn this morning, lol.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Oh my.... what a precious little puppy... He is just a doll.. :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
**gasp** He is just too gorgeous for words ... can I have him?? :tease:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He is such a little cutie, looks too sweet. Give him a big bully hug from us. Plus if no one has told you, no raw hide chews, bully sticks, or greenies, for your bully. Just nylabones, kongs, or any good quality hard rubber toy and antlers. Enjoy your new cutie.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online