Planking

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
My 7 month old bully is starting to push at some boundaries, kinda like a teenager I guess. He has been going to obedience classes where he's learning to "heel" on a leash. Now normally he will go anywhere with you on a leash happy as anything, but since the classes he has decided heel means "plank" (lie flat on his belly while looking up and grinning like a fool) the trainer just says keep walking he will have to follow bu doesn't seem to understand 14kg of dead weight makes a little anchor! Any ideas? We tried physically lifting him to a stand but the little bully just plays dead and makes all his limbs all floppy. And he's not tired, as soon as another dog to free and ran past in the class he was up and bouncing after it, as soon as we say heel, he planks! We even tried holding treats in front of him with very limited success.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have no suggestions but thank you so much for the Laugh this early in the morning. And your avatar photo is so adorable.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yeah,, what she said... LOL... Im still giggling at the mental pic of you trying to get the limp little guy to heel... :laugh:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hmm what does he do if you say "plank"? :rofl:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i would just use another word for heel now! :) what a stinker!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Funny! A video of this would be delicious. Take a camera to class next time, Lisa!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Thanks for the laugh, When Goober was a pup and going thru obedience he heeled great and everything else except when it came time to down, which you would think this he would love but no we literally would pull all four legs out from underneath him and he would pop right back up, it was just easier for me to down next to him and he could stand, also he would never sit his rump on the ground always on my feet, Good luck remember if they can make a fool out of you they will.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Once I had to drag Vegas down a whole isle at Petsmart because he planked down and would NOT stand up because I would not let him go sniff another dog. He just slid the whole isle while people were laughing at him/me. He finally stood up and we walked out of the store.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Do you use treats at all when training? My guys are very food motivated. They'll do anything for a piece of anything.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Once I had to drag Vegas down a whole isle at Petsmart because he planked down and would NOT stand up because I would not let him go sniff another dog. He just slid the whole isle while people were laughing at him/me. He finally stood up and we walked out of the store.
OMG are you serious? What a funny visual. That's just hilarious Kelly. :up: :laugh:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Do you use treats at all when training? My guys are very food motivated. They'll do anything for a piece of anything.
Wilson is on the extreme side of food motivated. He too will do anything. I always had treats when he was a bit younger when I went anywhere, it works! For treats I just use their kibble.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Yes, maybe find a treat he is very motivated about. We had to try a few with Frank but once we found his favorite treats, he would do anything!

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], I have been laughing for 5 minutes over the visual image of you sliding Vegas along the whole aisle at Petsmart! :ROFL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG this thread is killing me... between Guinness and Vegas -- bully stubbornness LIVES!! :ROFL:

@lisatrathern -- find a treat that he loves more than what you are using. Liver always worked with Nitschke - he loved liver treats (soft ones). Banks is just plain food modivated and will do anything or anything.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.