Thread: Planking

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Planking

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Do you use treats at all when training? My guys are very food motivated. They'll do anything for a piece of anything.
    Wilson is on the extreme side of food motivated. He too will do anything. I always had treats when he was a bit younger when I went anywhere, it works! For treats I just use their kibble.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Yes, maybe find a treat he is very motivated about. We had to try a few with Frank but once we found his favorite treats, he would do anything!

@KMARINO, I have been laughing for 5 minutes over the visual image of you sliding Vegas along the whole aisle at Petsmart!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

OMG this thread is killing me... between Guinness and Vegas -- bully stubbornness LIVES!!

@lisatrathern -- find a treat that he loves more than what you are using. Liver always worked with Nitschke - he loved liver treats (soft ones). Banks is just plain food modivated and will do anything or anything.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Guinness is a stubborn boy. I agree with @2BullyMama, there has got to be a treat that he will do anything for.
    Thanks for the chuckle!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Here's a pic of the planker will try take a video of him in class after Xmas, he looks so pleased with himself I can't help laughing (yup I know that doesn't help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbytapatalk1324598274-056500-jpg  

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Wilson and BabyGirl have "planked" at the vets office when it was time for them to go from the waiting area to the exam room. Quite embarrassing since I've NEVER seen another dog do this there.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

LOL - this brings back memories of trying to persuade Rocco to walk. I couldn't get him to leave our driveway to go on a way around the block. He would be fine if I carried him to the end of the drive way and past our house then set him down to walk. He would sit and not budge. Treats didn't work either. I carried him a few times and then just gave up. A few weeks went by and I had someone else (not his mom) put him on leash and coax him to go on a walk from the front door. He went reluctantly but did eventually go.

I then started to say "good boy!" really enthusiastically when he would start out the front door and keep encouraging him until we go out of the drive way and even while on the walk. I never had to teach him to "heal" because he was glued to my side, and a little to timid to run ahead.

Once he grew out of this stage (about 9 or 10 months old) - he learned to walk on a leash fine. These are stubborn breeds. He isn't motivated much for treats - but more for positive reinforcement. Telling him "it's ok" if he is scared or "good boy!" if he needs motivation.

Now he does pretty well with most commands. Although - when I tell him to "drop" his toy so I can throw it - he just turns and runs away. I guess I need a new word for "drop" Lol!
    Rocco's Mom

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Oh my ... This had me giggling!! I have visions of both Guinness and Vegas planking.

Bulldogs are not like any other breed! You need to rid yourself of this misconception that you can train a bully to do anything. And embrace the knowledge that they are training YOU!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
    Likes (Received)

How about retraining the "Heel" command and use a different command besides heel, sort of like a verbal redirection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads