Is Your Bully Crate Trained?

Is your bully crate trained? (You may choose more than one selection if more than one applies)

• Yes, they go into their many times a day (naps, bedtime, when I leave home, & other times)

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • Yes, but only when I leave the house

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes, but only at night for bedtime

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Yes, but only during the daytime. They sleep in my bed at night.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, but I use it for 'punishment' purposes only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but I only use it when it is absolutely necessary.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No, I never tried crate training and did not know about the benefits

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No, I think its cruel to put a dog in a crate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is your bully crate trained? I often wonder what peoples thoughts are on crate training.

I started crate training after my 3rd dog, it made the potty training and leaving the house better, and my bullies will go to the crate when they are tired.

We have already had many discussions about this, but never had a poll. So I thought it would be interesting to create a poll about it. :rolleyes:

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
Good job !
We used a crate for Bono only during his puppytime.
After about 6 months we didn't need a crate anymore.
Bono sleeps on his pillow in the livingroom. He doesn't mind to stay alone for a few hours end he never demolished something in the house. Good boy :D:bully:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Since we got Cutty at 9 months, the breeder did have him crate trained but we had nver thought of a crate before that. We went and bought one and tried to put him in at night, right next to me in the bed. Yeah that lasted for 30 seconds I would say before I let him in our bed. lol. We took the crate back and have never used one since. I do now see the great results from using them but have no need for one at this point since both boys are big enough and done with their destroying phase.

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
Mack and Rocky are both crate trained but it is used now just when they want to go in it. It's their safe place to go and be away from everything and everyone if that's what they want. Mack has full run of the house when we're not home has been that way since he was 9 months now 4. Rocky is gated in the kitchen when we are not home he can get to his crate if he wants. This is because he is a rescue we just got 2 weeks ago and he's still getting used to what he likes.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson is crate trained but he isn't in there much anymore. When he was a pup we'd put him in there when we weren't home. Now days our dogs are past their naughty stage and get the run of the house when we are gone and sleep with us at night. He still really likes it in there though, he will totally curl up in there on his own. Now we just use it like when we travel because we often take the dogs with us. If we have a hotel room and want to go to dinner or something we put the dogs in their kennels. It's never for very long at all.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Horse is crate trained, and I used to put him in when we left the house, but now I just leave it open for him to go in if he wants quiet/alone time. Sometimes I wish I had a crate to take a nap in and everyone would leave me alone!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester loves his crate. Especially at night, he will come by me and stare at me.. and I say to him "lets go in your pen" and he runs in and it's bedtime. Often when he is starting to get overheated..the only way we can get him to take a break is to put him in there and close the shades and door.. he needs a nap just like an infant.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Bentley and Linus were both crate trained and, after being around dogs who aren't, I would never have it another way. Not only does it provide them a safe place of respite and rest but it also gives me piece of mind knowing they are not getting into anything and that if they were to ever need to be in a crate for grooming or at the vet or something, they would not find it upsetting. Bentley could be in or out of the crate, he did well both ways at night but Linus MUST have his crate at night otherwise he roams around and cannot settle down. Truman is a work in progress but he is starting to know that his crate is a place for him to relax, where no one can bug him.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
As you've all heard, Gertie is a little stink-bomb. THANK GOODNESS! She really likes her crate. It sits in my family room, so she can see the TV from it, and she even goes and "puts herself to bed" thru-out the day. She has her bed and some toys and stuff to chew on in her crate. There really was no "training" her, she was fine with it from day 1.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I think you've missed one to add to the poll..
I would of pick.. No, I dont think a crate is cruel. I've heard good things about crates. I've just personally never tried or used them. :)

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I love kennels. Not only do I know that they aren't going to get into anything while I'm gone(Sadie does get into things, we came inside once to find the lower part of our entertainment center rearranged once.) it also gives Sadie a "Time out, sit down and catch your breath spot" that she does use on her own. When there is company and she refuses to settle down she's reminded about her kennel. That is one of her major issues is she gets TOOOOO excited and just won't stop. Its mellowed down quite a bit but I still don't allow her to be right up in peoples faces trampling over them.

The other nice thing the kennel provided her was a place all her own. During the really loud thunderstorms thats almost always where you'll find her.

W

WrinkledJowels

I've been lucky so far--that I can either put my puppy currently being trained either with my at work or with my MIL or my mother to be supervised. There's slightly more mess cleaning, but they seem to learn even that much quicker. Conversely, they always seem to think later that getting in a crate is some form is terrible, torturous punishment.

Kristin & Sophie

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie So-lo
All of my dogs have been crate trained... My Bully is the only one who doesn't go in there to sleep, take naps, time for herself... my other 3 dogs- 2 labs and a king shepherd--- they all just come and go as they please when it comes to thier crates. At night when we go to bed- Sophie sleeps on the bed- the shepherd and yellow lab are usually in thier crates with the doors open- and the choc. lab lays anywhere there may be a pile of clothes or something personal that has my scent or my husband's sent on it. The choc lab is the only one who doesn't go into a crate when we leave- he has full range of the house- but the other 3... can get into mischief... so in thier crates they go when we leave the house. Then I know when I return home- the house will be in tact... LOL

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I learned about crate training almost 30 years ago with a Sheltie I got as a pup. Have been a fan of the entire concept ever since.

We just got Gracie a week ago, and while we were told she didn't require a crate we found that she seemed to seek out things to get under (tables, desks chair legs). She's still getting used to the "city" sounds around here. She's always lived in the country prior to coming here from Missouri. She's a little timid about all the strange sounds. On Friday we decided to get her a crate and she seems to love it. It's where she goes for naps or just to lay down. She'll go to the crate when she's startled, then come back out again when she's feeling safe again.

08-15-10002.jpg

I realize this type of crate wouldn't work for a puppy who's still "teething". But for an adult with a super sweet personality it's perfect.

Last edited:

Reggie

Jul 16, 2010
Stopsley, Luton, Bedfordshire, England
Bulldog(s) Names
REGINALD GRUFFALO THE FIRST
Reggie has a crate and has used it from 8 weeks old but he doesn't like the door being closed and cries if I do so not sure if it qualifies as 'crate trained'. He basically puts his toys in it, will play and sleep in it throughout the day and night but always with the door open. If the door is inadvertently pushed too by the children he will painstakingly pull the door back open wide with a claw!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online