Please watch your bullies when they eat.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh! :*( Heartbreaking!!! We always free fed until fromm. Cutty was getting chubby grubbing too much, then now Miila has taken free feeding away forever thankfully after reading this post. WOW! I am sorry!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So sad to hear this. If we are going somewhere, I always wait until Frank finishes eating because that is one of my worst nightmares. Poor little bullie and parents. :*(

Victor Y

Sep 19, 2010
Gatlinburg,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper. The Belle of Birming'am
How sad, poor little bab...
I have Pepper eat from a bowl I found that is made with Bully's in mind. It stands on legs so its just does not lie on the flooe like a regular food bowl. Plus it is tilted at an angle so she does not have to stand over her bowl with her face down in her food. The angle allows a bully to eat with the windpipe more level. Its designed to keep choking to a minimum PLUS by allowing the bully to eat at a more comfortable position their siliva glands to do flop forward and it cuts drooling issues drastically , it does wonders to stop Bully's from slobbering all over the place. Its worth the bit of extra money to get one.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That is so tragic! They must be so heartbroken and guilty. :( I have always stayed in the same room while all my dogs eat. Always have. Last year on Christmas Eve while our old dog Ace was eating he did that very thing, choked. He killed over and Mike gave him doggie Heimlich.

My co-work lost her 5 year old dog this summer. She had given him a hamburger slider while she was cooking, she heard him cough as he was going outside but didn't give it a second thought and 1/2 later she couldn't find her dog because she had chocked to death under their deck. She felt horrible!!!! :(

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] this is just so sad to hear about your friend. Good advise for all who leave the fur friends to fend for themselves. Please send my condolences to your friends. They must be just devastated. Prayers are being sent their way, it will be very difficult for them over the Holiday season. I'm so sorry.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Aww that is so sad...appreciate the post cause I will pay more attention to watching my babies at feeding time and making sure the family knows too. Poor baby bully :(

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
Thank you so much for the post! I've never heard of them choking on food. Sometimes when I have to leave around dinner time I am not home when Chelsea is eating and I will make sure that this never happens again. Chelsea usually won't eat in front of us but we are typically in the next room and can hear her. I just pray if anything did happen that at least my boyfriend would be home since he is sooo much better at emergencies then I am. When Chelsea cut her paw I totally panicked and was in the process of rushing her to the vet, while he was better assessing her wound and applying pressure to it. So much for my pet first aid training class.