Please watch your bullies when they eat.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is a sad sad day. One of our friends who is also a bully breeder found out today that one of her previous babies died needlessly today. She was 9 months old and apparently the owners would put food in her bowl and leave for work and when they returned this evening their little bully was dead. Her head next to her bowl and choked on her food, aspirated and died. This is so sad as it could have been prevented if they had only been there watching her. Please watch your bullies eat and if they get choked, please know how to help them. I have done the finger swipe before to dislodge food. There is a post on here called "Choking" that has two videos on it, one shows what to do if they are choking and the other show dog CPR. Please check it out if you have not, it may save your babies life.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldogs-health/11240-choking.html

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
So sorry. It is so sad:nope:.I have to check out the info as I wouldnt know what to do if something like that was to happen.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
How awful ... And another reason that I am glad we don't free feed. Luckily we have to stand over our babies when they eat to prevent any stealing and squabbles!!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
That's aweful news David thanks for the video post I never saw that one!! When we got home and found lex hurt that I was not thing i was angry about when they just left food out for lex!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's such devastating news. I just relayed that to my husband and we both feel sick about it. Poor bullie baby and his owners.:cry: I wonder what kind of food it was. Kibble, wet or raw. We use NVI Turkey and the pieces are really small and Wilson is such a big headed dog that he tends to choke on some of the bits. Like when you get a popcorn skin in the back of your throat. But I'm always home and I'm the only one who feeds the dogs. Still scarey to think about.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
so very sad, Those parents must be devestated. We also have to be home when the girls eat. Bella's has to be treated with enzymes and if Sophies walks away, Bella goes right in for the rest. So until all are done with the bowls, we are standing over them. Bella also uses a slow feed bowl.

So sad.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH expects an audience and gets it. But this is good to know!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Such a sad story, so sorry to hear this. I always watch the boys eat their meals but don't always monitor them eating the snacks I put into their Kongs. Now I'll be more careful. Thanku for posting this.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas chokes once in awhile. I've had to get after my husband, he tends to feed him, then tend to become absorbed in whatever he is doing while he's eating. I came into the room after Vegas finished eating and he was trying to throw up. He was on his belly struggling to breathe...I yelled to Mark and he didn't hear me. He had earphones in..so he got a tongue lashing from me. Vegas has done this several times. Usually his whole meal comes up in a slimy sack.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my how awful. i always watch sarah eat as the three of them try to get what they can out of each others bowl. but i know we have left her food out if she did not eat that morning while we were there so she could eat it later when she was feeling better. doesnt happen often but may have to rethink that now. i just hate her not eating all day. hmmm kinda puts into perspective the hunger aspect vs possible choking. i think ill just leave her food up till we get home now. thanks for posting this to remind us all about little things we may take for granted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Heartbreaking....

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Aww that is so sad. I watch all of mine eat.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My bf and I always watch the boys too when they eat. You never know what's going to happen, no matter what size the food so we figured better safe than sorry.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo choked on a piece of kibble when he was a little pup. It was THE scariest thing ever. I pulled it out with my fingers. These dogs don't get anything edible/chewable without someone being around - except the giant nylabone. It can happen in an instant. I feel so badly for these folks.....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.